Saturday, January 9, 2021

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll) 
All Shook Up (1957) 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here. 
Chosen because January 8 is the anniversary of Elvis Presley's birth.

1) In this song, Elvis shares quite a list of maladies: he's itching, his hands are shaky, his knees are weak, he has chills ... How are you feeling this morning? 
Mmm, whoops, I'm doing this at 7 pm. I was ok this morning, albeit super not-motivated for work.
2) He also mentions being "tongue tied." The dictionary defines it as, "unable to speak freely, as from shyness." Do you often find yourself tongue tied? 
Yes. I also get tangled tongue if I think too hard about what I'm trying to say.
3) Even after he was wealthy, Elvis never lived away from his parents. At one point Graceland Mansion was home to four generations of the family: his grandmother, his father and stepmother, Elvis, his wife and daughter. Have you ever lived in a multi-generational household? 
Only as a child. I'd murder members of my family of origin if we lived together. Sparky could move back in and that would be fine.
4) Thinking of family, Elvis Presley was a distant cousin of President Jimmy Carter. Both of their family trees can be traced back to the 18th century and Thomas Preslar (before the surname was changed to Presley in the early 1800s). Have you traced your ancestry? If not, is it something you'd like to do?
My mom was big into genealogy. I have all her paperwork and help people with their genealogy at work all the time, and I give zero shits about doing the work for my own ancestry.
5) As an adult, Elvis never wore denim (except for a movie role). That's because when he was in school, his classmates teased him for "dressing poor" in jeans and coveralls. Is denim a big part of your wardrobe today?
Not anymore. I wear elastic pants, almost all yoga pants or nurses' scrubs, always now. This is shocking: I had to work so hard to get to the point where I could wear jeans as a kid that I never ever thought I'd give them up. And here I am, with a fat tummy that doesn't do well with zip-up pants.
6) Before becoming famous, Elvis drove a truck in and around Memphis. Have you ever had a job that kept you behind the wheel most of the day? 
Nope. Once upon a time I wanted to be a truck driver. It never happened, sadly.
7) In 1957, the year this song was a hit, the Allstate Mechanical Freight Set was popular, too. Kids would wind up the engine and watch it pull two cars and a caboose around the track. To enhance the realism, sparks would shoot from the engine's smoke stack as it rumbled by. Did you ever play with a toy train? If not, tell us about a childhood plaything you remember fondly. 
I never cared a bit about trains, despite family that worked for the railroad and other family that are mental about trains. I was into toy cars though, metal ones.
8) The best-selling book of 1957 was Peyton Place, a scandalous tale of life in a small New England town. Do you suppose there are enough steamy stories behind closed doors in your town to fill a novel? 
There are plenty of steamy stories in my community's library to write several novels.
9) Random question: Can you do 10 push ups? 
You're funny, Gal. lol

1 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

I'm like you re: my personal history. I like to think of myself as the shelter cats I've adopted over the years. My past and my bloodline don't matter to how lovable I am!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.