Saturday, August 24, 2019

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
No One's Here to Sleep (2013)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is the theme of How to Get Away with Murder, the legal drama that premiered in 2014 and airs on Thursday nights. Are you a fan?
Nope. I don't watch network TV. I don't watch TV much at all these days.
2) The song's refrain says, "I'll never catch up with you." Behind the wheel, do you carefully observe the speed limit? Or do you have a lead foot, making it hard for anyone to catch up with you?
Somewhere in between. I set my cruise control at 3-5 mph over the limit because anything less than that is too slow around here.
3) How to Get Away with Murder is about Annalise Keating, a law professor at a top Philadelphia university. She has a reputation for being tough, demanding and able to turn her students into successful defense attorneys. Tell us about a teacher who helped prepare you for life after graduation.
I'm still in contact (via Facebook) with one of my Communication profs who taught me a great deal about how see patterns in and reasons for communicative behavior in conversations. Blew my mind. I use what I learned in one of his classes literally EVERY day. Thanks, Pete!
4) The students she feels show the most promise -- and are recruited to help her solve murders -- are known as The Keating Four. Did you ever sense that you were your teacher's favorite?
I was a classic Teacher's Pet for most of my academic career. Somehow I had already figured out a lot of those comm. "rules" before college.... :)
5) Viola Davis was just nominated for an Emmy for playing Professor Keating. Ms. Davis was born on a farm in SC. Have you spent more of your life in a rural, suburban or urban setting?
I grew up solidly suburban, then lived for a few years in a fairly urban environment, and now I'm in what I call the exurbs: on a train line directly into The Big City, but surrounded by farms and woods.
6) Next to Annalise Keating, Viola Davis is best known for her Oscar-nominated role as Aibileen in the movie, The Help. Have you seen it?
Nope. I also don't see movies very often.
7) In 2014, the year How to Get Away with Murder premiered, we lost two famous comedians: Robin Williams and Joan Rivers. Who was the last person to make you laugh out loud? (This means actually, literally laughing out loud, not just keystroking LOL.)
It was probably something on Midsomer Murders (Netflix) or maybe Beast when I saw him earlier. I definitely giggled with Trud at breakfast this morning while we caught up on our crazy lives.
8) The 2014 Olympics were held in Sochi. Have you ever been to Russia? If not, is it a dream destination of yours?
I have. I went with a class in college in January 1985, when it was still the USSR. I would love to go back, but I don't think it's happening at this rate. Both politically and financially it's just not in the cards.
9) Random question: The sign on the railing says, "Wet Paint." Do you touch the railing to see if it's really wet?
Nope. I believe signs.

2 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

I don't think I've ever heard the words "exurbs" before. It sounds like a nice way to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Kwizgiver said...

There needs to be a cool word for extremely remote, super rural.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.