Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
Write from Karen

1. What’s the coolest item you’ve found at a garage sale, flea market, etc.?
It's been awhile since I've hit garage sales (and I never do flea markets, simply because there aren't that many around here). I can't think of anything super-special, though Sparky's main wardrobe supply was hand-me-downs from garages and thrift shops. I found some wonderful glass luncheon dishes at a resale shop over a decade ago, and we have a number of pieces of furniture from resale and "antique" shops. They aren't antiques; just old and cheap.
2. Describe how your day went yesterday.
I was up early to return a key that I mistakenly brought home from work. Then I hit Dollar General for odds and ends, came home and put those away while the load of laundry finished drying. Folded those things and packed up for a visit with Beast...and hit a wall. Took a nap, went over to Beast's for an hour or so (with donuts for the staff and coffee for him), came home, cooked up a steak I'd defrosted earlier in the week--and I'll be eating steak all week now, so there's that--did dishes, listened to some crime podcasts, noodled around online while I ate, looked over the bills and entered receipts, watched Live PD, went to bed.
3. Do you have issues with people entering your personal space? What do you do when your personal space is violated?
I have a fairly small circle of space around me, but once you cross it...yeah, I'll be backing up and doing the defensive/arms-crossed posture. I'm more likely to get myself in a roil because of emotional invasion, though: Friday at work one of our long-time patrons (whose got some issues, but is generally quite interesting to chat with) asked if I was going to be at the Big Do that evening in support of the library. It was a weird vibe, so thank God I could tell him no. I do not need drama in my life!
4. What is the one meal recipe you think you’ve mastered?
Macaroni and cheese NOT from a box! But I do a decent Thanksgiving spread, if I do say so myself.
5. If you could take back something you did to someone, what would it be?
I would have been nicer and less fearful of "status damage" when I was in school.
6. Would you describe yourself as spiritual, religious, or something else?
Seeing as how I literally couldn't force myself out the door to go to church this morning, dressed, packed and...nope... I think I'd better go with spiritual today. I haven't been in worship more than a couple of times since September, and every time I go I lose my shit and then people want to chat about Beast's "stuff" and I get overwhelmed and it takes me the rest of the day to regain some equilibrium. It's a combination of the music, being surrounded by people I love (who love me) and being a Natural Cryer at church even on good days. Fuck. I'm crying just writing about it.
7. Did you ever receive detention in school? What sort of kid were you in school – bookworm, smart kid, troublemaker, quiet … etc.
Had I ever been in detention, my childhood self is certain I'd have been hung from a spit at home and never made it to adulthood. In reality, it wasn't that bad, but it was easier to just roll along being a brainiac bookwormy smart-ass.
8. When’s the last time you ran a mile? How often do you exercise?
A mile??!? That would be, uhm, probably 27 years, before I got pregnant. I don't run. I ran as a kid, and loved it, but I hate sweating with glasses on.
9. What would you say to your 16-year-old self, and why?
"Get over yourself, girl! You are NOT the center of the universe, but you do get to make decisions for yourself! And, jeez, just ask W. (or J.!) out and see what happens, for cryin' out loud!"
10. What are you avoiding?
Piles of bills (which I can't pay till I call my online banking helpline). Piles of tax info (which I can't really do anything about till I talk to my CPA). Piles of boxes (a lot of which are Beast's family stuff, so I can't touch those). Piles of laundry. Piles of phone calls to make: bank, CPA, Wells Fargo, car donation place (but I need to get the year, model and mileage figured out first), insurance company, county clerk's office (for absentee ballot for Beast), SSA, ... endless, really. Which is why it's so hard to even get started.
11. Describe a “Hah! I told you so” moment you had recently.
Every damn day looking at the U.S. Government. Which is why I have backed far off news reports except in the very broadest sense.
12. What’s more important, where you live or what you do for a living? Why?
The most important thing is doing what needs doing. Bloom where you're planted and all that. I mean, if you hate your life, either move/change it, OR adjust. It doesn't pay to be miserable forever.
13. Swear words: Are you pro or con? Why?
Fuckin PRO! I grew up in a household where we couldn't even say "pee" or "Jeez" or "butt" without a smoldering look from Mom. It was ridiculous.
14. Paper or plastic? Do you prefer to pack your own groceries?
I bring my own bags if it's doable. Otherwise, I don't care. I used to say paper, but apparently the production and recycling of those is actually worse than that of plastic, so... I don't know.
15. Do you have a shoe fetish? How often do you buy new shoes? Do you ever get rid of a pair of shoes?
I get rid of shoes when they break or totally wear out. I try to stay out of shoe stores because it's so hard to not Buy Them All. I have to be super-focused.

4 sweet-talkers :

Bev Sykes said...

#11 and #13....we agree. As for the paper/plastic question, I had not heard about paper being worse than plastic. Fortunately I bring my own reusable bags.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

being a brainiac bookwormy smart-ass is a long lost art.
Oh yes, staying out of shoe stores is very brainiac, because maniac will get you every time.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

*11! Meet you in the time out room!

Kwizgiver said...

#13=yes!!!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.