Saturday, March 10, 2018

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
On and On (1977)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) This song describes the plight of "poor ol' Jimmy," who caught his girlfriend kissing someone else. Have you ever spied on a romantic partner?
Not really. I mean, what's the point? If a guy's gonna cheat, I don't need to watch. If he's not going to cheat there's no point in getting myself all worked up over nothing.
2) In this song, Stephen Bishop sings that he "smiles when he feels like dying." When did you recently put on a happy face, even though you really weren't all that happy?
Oh jeez. That describes my normal minute-by-minute life in public. Specifically, I guess it would be talking to Beast earlier this afternoon. It was a good conversation, but he was quite befuddled if more resigned than he normally is.
3) Stephen Bishop always wanted to be a musician, and as a child he began playing the clarinet. Did you take lessons -- dance, art, music -- as a child? If yes, did you take them because you enjoyed them, or because your parents made you take them?
I took piano as a kid, elementary-school age. I took up flute in 7th grade. Piano was Mom's idea; flute was mine, influenced by my friend who also played flute. I would have loved to take dance, but it just wasn't in the family "plan."
4) When he was 12, inspired by The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, he switched to the guitar and began writing songs. Tell us about someone or something that influenced your career path.
My older sister Jean was a librarian. She and my brother and I all worked as pages at our local public library as teens, and once I realized college wasn't going to last forever, I turned to the option of grad school and thus a career was born. Since then, one of my college roommates and my oldest niece have followed me into the field. I've occasionally nudged Sparky toward it too, but I think he's just heard too many stories from me.
5) Stephen Bishop attended Will C. Crawford High School in San Diego. This school requires students complete 20 hours of community service every year. Tell us about an organization, cause or campaign you volunteered for, either as a student or an adult.
I have worked with Habitat for Humanity, several urban renewal organizations (in several cities) and PDA. There's also P.E.O. and I guess I should include YouthWorks. Does my library count? lol
6) In 1977, when this song was popular, Seattle Slew won racing's Triple Crown. Sam's mother has always been afraid of horses. Is there an animal you're uncomfortable with?
I am a bit in awe of horses simply because they're so much bigger than me and have simply enormous teeth. I'm not afraid of them, just wary. And also bulls. I have no desire to piss off anything with horns.
7) Also in 1977, moviegoers waited in line for hours to see Star Wars. What's the longest line you waited in recently?
I was at the local SSA office yesterday. I gave up; those around me had been waiting over an hour and I was on my lunch break at work. Not a real line, just a room full of soullessness.
8) The mini-series Roots first aired in 1977. Today Americans are spending more time and money than ever to research ancestry. How far back can you trace your family tree?
My mom got back to the 18th century on her side. My dad always joked that we shouldn't look too close at his side for fear of finding horse thieves or murderers.
9) Random question: It's often said that nobody's perfect. How about you? What quality keeps you from being perfect?
Laziness kind of sums it up. It's the root of all the evil in my life.
I can't tell you how hearing this song took me right back to junior high! So weird...

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.