Sunday, March 4, 2018

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Is There Life Out There? (1992)
Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) This song is about a woman who married at 20. It's estimated that the average American groom is 2.5 years older than his bride. Why do you suppose that is?
Cultural conditioning. It still kind of freaks me out that I'm (6 days) older than my husband, to be honest. My parents were two years apart--Dad was older--and that seems to be the rule in most of the rest of my family, except my two oldest nieces who married "younger" guys (one 3 months, one a couple of years).
2) A 2014 study shows the bigger the age gap in a marriage, the more likely the couple is to divorce. What do you think is the reason for most divorces?
Poor communication is where things tend to go awry, at least as far as I can tell. After that, any ol' excuse will do to cause a final break: money, cheating, boredom, child-rearing....
3) Reba's second marriage recently ended. Statistics show that second marriages are more likely than first marriages to wind up in divorce. Why do you suppose that is?
Easy enough to quit again once you've quit once. Kind of like the second murder supposedly being easier than the first. {{It's possible I spend too much time on true-crime, I think.}}
4) This week's featured artist, Reba McEntire, was discovered when she sang The National Anthem at an Oklahoma City rodeo. Have you ever been to the rodeo?
I have! I loved it!
5) Reba dropped out of Southeastern Oklahoma State University to go to Nashville and pursue a recording career. In that way, she's like the woman she sings about in this week's song. "She's done what she should, should she do what she dares?" Do you ever regret a risk or opportunity you didn't take?
Dozens of times every day.
6) Reba's heroine is "dying to try something foolish, do something crazy, or just get away." Does that sound like you? What would you do, just for yourself, if time and money were no object?
I'd like to get away, in an RV, and just travel the country. I doubt that will ever happen, though.
7) Reba recently became a spokesperson for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Whose chicken do you eat most often: Popeye's, Church's, Chick-fil-A or KFC?
KFC. There's no Chick-Fil-A around here (and I doubt I'd give them money anyway), Popeye's is rather spicy (though I love their hush puppies), and I won't eat at Church's because of a bad event at one some 25 years ago.
8) In 2001, Reba starred in her own sitcom. On the show, her character is first an administrative assistant and then a real estate agent. Have you ever tried your hand at either of those occupations? If not, which do you think you would be a better fit for you?
I temped as a receptionist while I was in college. That's the closest I came to administrative assistant. I would suck at real estate; I can't even sell Girl Scout Cookies!
9) Random question: Which of these super powers would you rather have -- extraordinary strength or invisibility?
Still wanting the invisibility. I was told within the last hour by a close friend that I'm "tough as nails" so I think I'm good in terms of strength.

2 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

Do tell! What happened at Church's? Here in Chicagoland, there was a famous murder at a Brown's. (Look that up, you true crime lover!) I wonder if frequenting fast food chicken places is high risk.

Cat. said...

Oops, Gal: I mixed up my chicken chain restaurants. You are talking about the one I'm talking about. ;-) or rather :-\

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.