Saturday, January 27, 2018

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Heartbreak Hotel (1956)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Elvis checked in to the hotel at the end of Lonely Street. Where was the last hotel or motel you stayed at?
It was last year, near a State Park where I spent a getaway weekend by myself. Irony Street.
2) He sings that Heartbreak Hotel is always crowded. The fear of crowds is so prevalent that it has four names (enochlophobia, ochlophobia, demophobia and agoraphobia). Are you comfortable in a crowd?
I'm rarely actively fearful in a crowd, but I don't like being in a mass of people just because people act weirder in a crowd than they do individually. I don't want to get mixed up in any of that negative, dangerous weirdness. Plus, I just hate waiting (I'm so American), and where there are crowds there are lines.
3) The desk clerk at Heartbreak Hotel is dressed black. Do you often wear all black?
Often enough, though that is mostly by accident. I just have a lot of dark-colored clothes, especially in the winter. My new coat, though, is bright blue. I love it.
4) The song was written by Mae Boren Axton, who said it was inspired by the story of an anonymous young man's suicide in a hotel. She said she read in The Miami Herald that the John Doe left behind a note that said, "I walk a lonely street." What's the last note you handwrote? (Hopefully it was more upbeat.)
I wrote some notes yesterday during my meeting with the facility director where Beast is living. I write notes every day. Most of them are to me, and end up in the recycling bin eventually.
5) When Elvis was 11, his parents bought him a guitar. He had asked for a rifle, but his mama convinced him a guitar was a better idea. Tell us about a time one of your parents was right about something.
My parents were, of course, as all parents are, usually right about the important stuff. My mom told me once she'd "never liked" one of my high school friends, and in some ways she was right. On the other hand, she thought another friend was wonderful, and he was my source for all things drug- and alcohol-related, so she wasn't quite on point (on fleek? I don't understand how this is supposed to work) on that one.
6) Not long before "Heartbreak Hotel" was recorded, Elvis' father recommended he give up the guitar and become a truck driver. Tell us about a time one of your parents was wrong about something.
Ooops, I jumped the gun there. I'll just say that I can't think of too many instances of my Dad being wrong; he stuck to the Big Advice, like loving people and trying hard to do right by them. This shouldn't be read that he was perfect by any means! He also injured himself badly in the eye during a safety meeting on his worksite when I was 10.
7) There are many stories about Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker. One anecdote, about his career before Elvis, has the Colonel painting sparrows yellow so he could sell them as canaries. Have you ever been ripped off?
Oh yeah, a few times over 54 years.
8) Speaking of birds, Elvis once owned a peacock. It damaged his cars, so he gave it to the Memphis Zoo. In earlier days, it might have been dinner, for peacock was considered a medieval delicacy. What's the last poultry you prepared?
I bought a barrel of KFC last weekend and ate it all week. The last time I cooked it? Months. Literally. I haven't cooked much in the last few months, except reheating things and/or making soup or spaghetti.
9) Random question: You and a friend have dinner at a restaurant. Your friend left her wallet at home, so you pick up the entire tab of $62, including tip. A few weeks later, you two meet for lunch and when the bill comes, she puts down half. Do you remind her that she still owes you $31 from the last time you dined together?
If she's a good friend, I'm pretty sure this discussion would have already happened, and the only comment I'd make now is raised eyebrows. In fact, I'd like to think that I'd put on my coat and wave bye, but I doubt I'd have the nerve. But we certainly would have separate checks if (big if there) we ever had a meal together henceforward.

4 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I do separate checks.

The Gal Herself said...

I love that your coat is a bright color! I have a warm and durable down-filled Anne Klein coat that is my savior when the mercury drops below 20º, but it's black and I get sooooo sick of wearing it.

Cat. said...

Gal, my coats are usually purchased during the sales at the end of the season, so I've always had gray or black too. My last coat is what I call "concrete" so I just said the hell with it and opted for an online purchase and picked blue instead of Practical Beige.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Darlin, what doesn't kill us only serves to make us stronger. Over time, this will happen. I think of you a lot, m'friend.
There are times that I miss having a lovely, soft overcoat that was wool. I have found a pea coat, though. Got it at a Thrift in Santa Cruz last summer.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.