Saturday, August 26, 2017

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
I Wish It Would Rain (1968)
... because Janelle recommended the Temptations
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song focuses on rain. Ombrophobia -- the fear of rain -- is fairly common in children. How do you feel about rainy days?
I hate rain. I'm not afraid of it, but I hate hate HATE cloudy, rainy days! One of my best friends LOVES rainy days. I don't get this at all.
2) Lead singer David Ruffin always wore corrective lenses. Are you wearing glasses or contact lenses as you answer these questions?
I am well-past legally blind without glasses so yeah.
3) Those thick-rimmed glasses were David's trademark. When he custom-ordered a luxury car, he had the image of those glasses painted on the door. Tell us something that makes your vehicle distinctive.
Uh. It's blue. It has a bunch of stuff hanging from the rear-view mirror inside: Mardi Gras beads, a wooden dolphin, uh something else I can't remember right now.
4) David also had a penchant for mink. Rumor has it that he wore a mink-lined hat and even had that car upholstered in mink. If you could really splurge on anything right now, what would it be? Car? Travel? Clothes? Jewelry? (NO responsible answers allowed.)
Well, that responsible answers qualification makes it quite difficult. I'd probably hire cleaning people and....wait, that's responsible. Uh. New clothes. I could buy some new clothes, I guess.
5) He sings that he badly wants to go outside. What are your plans for today? Will you be outdoors very much?
I went to Aldi's and Walgreen's, had late lunch at Panera and drove home in sprinkling rain.
6) The Temptations originally called themselves The Elgins because in 1960, Elgin watches were the high-end timepiece of choice. Today, in the age of cellphones and FitBits, wristwatches aren't that popular anymore. Do you often wear a watch?
I look at my (Seiko) watch on my closet occasionally with great sadness. I never, ever wear it.
7) This sad song was inspired by a real-life event. Motown songwriter Rodger Penzabene discovered his wife was cheating on him. Much to his own surprise, he didn't want to divorce or even separate from her; he just wanted her to love him and only him again. Tell us about a time when you didn't react as you thought you would. (Your story doesn't have to be as dramatic as Rodger's.)
I always find it surprising when I don't blow my stack in tense situations. Or when I can actually stay out of an argument that doesn't involve me in any way.
8) In 1968, when this song was popular, a Pittsburgh McDonald's sold the first Big Mac (two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickle and onion on a sesame seed bun). Describe your perfect hamburger.
Hmm, I used to love burger joint burgers, but these days....I actually prefer homemade. With just pickles, mustard and ketchup.
9) Random question: When you catch a cold, do you soldier through it? Or are you a big baby?
I haven't had a cold in awhile, so at this point, I'm likely to be a big baby. I do refuse to just carry on regardless of how I feel. If I need a day off, I take it. [My mom literally took 2 sick days in 25 years at work, so this is a thing for me!]

3 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

It's so much more work for me to be absent than to be at school! I hate missing any days!

The Gal Herself said...

Mardi gras beads and a wooden dolphin DEFINITELY make your car distinctive!

Cat. said...

It's a tiny dolphin. And the other not-memorable thing is a little bell on a ribbon. I jingle whenever I hit a pothole.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.