Saturday, December 10, 2016

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Snowbird (1971)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Elvis wants the snowbird to fly away and take the snow back with her. Have you seen a measurable snowfall yet this season?
Ayup. Last weekend. We're due for another storm tonight / tomorrow / Monday / Tuesday. Whee! I'm doing a great deal of driving tomorrow and Wednesday, so I'm hoping the road crews are on point.
2) Drivers in snowy climes are encouraged to keep salt, sand or kitty litter in the trunk because those items can help a car regain traction in the snow. Do you have an emergency kit in your car right now? If so, what's in it?
Well, actually, no I don't. I should at least put a shovel in, and some snacks. I do try to keep my gas tank at least half-full during the winter. I've gotta get some salt in the car. ...adding to list of Things To Do...
3) Back in 2007, North Dakota set the world record for the most snow angels made at one time (8,910). Do you enjoy playing in the snow?
Not so much. I get cold, and my glasses fog up and I'm just too old. The snow we usually get isn't really snow-angel-y either. Too much usually at once time.
4) Chionophobia is the fear of snow. Astraphobia is the fear of thunder and lightening. Lilapsophobia is the fear of tornadoes and hurricanes. Do you have to cope with any of these fears?
I'm not a fan of tornadoes. I live in a tornado-prone area and I have spent some quality time in basements in the spring / summer / fall, and one memorable day in January 2005. The best reason for having a pool table is it makes a great place to hide from tornadoes. I don't think I have a phobia though; I think I have a healthy respect for wind.
5) Elvis' daughter Lisa Marie split her childhood between Memphis and Los Angeles, so she seldom saw snow. When she was a little girl, she was whisked her off to Denver in her father's private plane so the two of them could spend an afternoon playing in the snow. If you could take off and spend the afternoon anywhere in the world, where would you go?
I'm cool with a weekend in Denver. Preferably with no snow. You might want to warn Tattered Cover I'll be dropping by.
6) At home and onstage, Elvis refused to wear jeans and only wore denim if a film role demanded it. This is because when he was young, classmates teased him for "dressing poor" in jeans and coveralls. What did you wear to class when you were in grammar school?
I would have KILLED to wear jeans. I had to wear skirts and dresses, usually. Occasionally, long pants, but NOT jeans. Jeans were for play, and only cheap-ass home-made jeans to boot.
7) Elvis and President Jimmy Carter are distant relatives (the President is the sixth cousin of the King's great grandfather). Your turn: Tell us about one of your more interesting relatives.
I ain't got any. At least that I'm aware of, and that's just fine by me.
8) In 1971, when Elvis released his recording of "Snowbird," You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown was a hit on Broadway. Who is your favorite Peanuts character?
Oh, it has to be Snoopy, I think.
9) Random question: You receive a gift certificate from a gourmet food company that can be redeemed for one of these three things: 1 lb. of caviar, 5 lbs. of steak or a 10 lb., live lobster. Which would you choose?
Steak. Caviar is gross, and for multiple reasons I would be unwilling to deal with 10 lb. of lobster unless I also get a chef.

4 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

We're supposed to get 8-13 inches of snow Monday. Boo hiss!

Bev Sykes said...

Oooo...Tattered Cover. I was there once. I LOVED the Tattered Cover!

Cat. said...

Kwiz: we're about 2" in at this point. Supposed to go all night, take a break for a few hours and then start back up tomorrow.

Bev: I could easily live there. :)

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Windy weather is the only kind I cannot stand. We lived up against the foothills for several years and the high winds coming down the canyons could blow you off your feet.
Wishing you all safe travels.
I'll be back next week with a double header, both memes. Terrible time crunch this year.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.