Saturday, February 7, 2015

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
A Sleepin' Bee (1957)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about the wonder of first love. How would you describe the sensation of falling in love?
It's really a lot like having too much to drink, only somewhat longer-lasting. Mostly, it's a feeling of great well-being, along with feeling sick to your stomach at the same time.
2) This 1957 album was the first Diahann Carroll ever recorded. More recently she recorded "A, You're Adorable," a nursery rhyme. (The lyrics are here.) Give us some words to a children's song that remain in your head to this day.
Twinkle twinkle, little star
How I wonder where you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle twinkle, little star
How I wonder where you are.

If you prefer, as I do, the Wonderland version, here it is:

Twinkle twinkle, little bat
How I wonder what you're at
Up above the world so high
Like a tea-tray in the sky
Twinkle twinkle, little bat
How I wonder what you're at.
3) 1957 was the peak of the Baby Boom (1946 to 1964). Are you a Boomer, a Gen X-er, a Gen Y-er, or a Millennial?
I'm either the very last of the Baby Boom or a Gen-X-er. I'd prefer to be included in the latter, frankly. The Boomers have a lot to answer for.
4) In 1974, Diahann was named to the Best Coiffed Hall of Fame by the Guild of Professional Beauticians. How often do you change your look?
Not very often. However, my hair is making me a little nuts lately. Maybe it's because of the wintry frizzes. We'll see how I feel about things once spring rolls around.
5) Ms. Carroll made history as Julia in the first network TV show to star a black woman. She played a nurse. Do you/have you ever worked in the healthcare profession?
I was a candystriper in junior high if that counts.
6) She also played glamorous, scheming Dominique Deveraux on the nighttime soap, Dynasty. Who is the most memorable female villain you've ever seen in a TV show or movie?
The character Glenn Close played in Fatal Attraction was absolutely terrifying.
7) Ms. Carroll began her career as a model. Her height (nearly 6' tall) is an asset in that profession. Are you pleased with your height? Or do you wish you were taller, or shorter?
I like being my height. It's taller than most women, but not so tall I can't find clothes.
8) Now in her 80th year, she keeps on working. Recently she's appeared on TV in Grey's Anatomy and Blue Collar and on the big screen in Tyler Perry Presents Peeples. How do you feel about retirement? Is it something you enjoy or look forward to? Or would you prefer to continue working?
I doubt I'll retire--see above re Baby Boomers. I'm gonna be supporting that demographic till I die. Whether I want to retire or not doesn't really enter into the discussion.
9) In her long movie career, Ms. Carroll has played love scenes with some very good looking men, including Sidney Poitier and Billy Dee Williams. If you could steal a kiss from any actor or actress, who would choose?
Not Clark Gable--I hear he had horrible halitosis. And Brad Pitt has some odor issues, I hear, as well. I think I'd rather snuggle with one of the animal stars: Lassie, Flipper, Mr. Ed....

7 sweet-talkers :

CountryDew said...

We must be very close in age. There are many baby boomers who won't be able to retire, either, especially the younger ones like me and my husband (those of us who have just hit our 50s). However, it is not the boomers fault. It is the government's, as it mismanaged and stole from the Social Security funds. Had they kept their nasty little fingers out of the kettle, SS would be solvent, I think. Plus they should have made adjustments to the top levels of contributions years and years ago. But politicians do what they do best - nothing but rob the rest of us. See, I got some of that cynicism, too!

Cat. said...

I tend to agree with mostly everything you said, cynicism included. I blame the Boomers for a lot of cultural crap they've brought with them through sheer selfishness (generalizing broadly). I have, well, HAD, 4 sibling (now two) who are full-on Boomers. They annoy the bejeebus about of me with their entitlement and selfishness.

Diana_CT said...

The Baby Boomers, we were going to change the world, free love, save the environment, and anti-war, but when we grew up we became just like our parents.

I am Harriet said...

Being a boomer use to be such a cool thing till everyone starting talking about the social security system and divorce rates.

Kwizgiver said...

I'm hoping that my retirement account will off-set what's happened to the state employees' retirement monies. :\

Cat. said...

My state retirement account has been ransacked too--different state. I'm sorry to hear the pols in your state are as crooked as those in mine, which sets a pretty low bar in terms of ethics.


Being a public employee is not such a great deal these days....

The Gal Herself said...

I'm proud to be a Boomer. Here in Chicago we recently said farewell to Ernie Banks, Mr. Cub, and it was a sobering reminder what this country was like for people of color at the beginning of his career in the 1950s. He as also the first African American to own a Ford dealership -- in the entire country -- in 1967. Thank goodness for the civil rights movement and the women's movement, where the Boomers were in the forefront and from which we've all benefited. I'm sorry you're disillusioned. I think we have a great humanitarian legacy. (Also, our music was the best.)

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.