Friday, August 29, 2008

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five

(Link in blogroll)
Labor Day

1. Tell us about the worst job you ever had.
I never really loved babysitting. I had a couple of not-fun experiences in college while temping, but nothing really awful. My worst job was my first full-time job in a library. Five years of working for a clinically depressed and not-clinically horrible person. 'Nuf said.
2. Tell us about the best job you ever had.
I've had some excellent jobs. I really love my job now--when I'm allowed to do it and not having to cover for other people's jobs! But I also worked on my college campus one summer and lived with my co-workers and THAT was awesome. Also, temping at a small Italian food store making clam sauce and grating Parmesan. I spent two summers during college as the Christian Education intern at my church. Terrifying and fun.
3. Tell us what you would do if you could do absolutely anything (employment related) with no financial or other restrictions.
I would work as a cataloger/archivist/indexer in a medium-sized library. I would not work in the public areas. I would have an office, with doors, and speakers on my computer to listen to music without headphones. I would not be involved in a bunch of emergency IT stuff. I would have at least four full weeks of vacation a year, at least 10 more days off for holidays, and the health plan the members of the U.S. Congress have.
4. Did you get a break from labor this summer? If so, what was it, and if not, what are you gonna do about it?
Hah. No vacay this summer, nothing coming down the pike for awhile either. Maybe a couple of weekends...? I hope we can get to Nevada in January. I'm sort of living for that.
5. What will change regarding your work as summer morphs into fall? Are you anticipating or dreading?
More kids in the library after school and in the evenings. More staff at work (rather than on vacations). In the non-paid work arena, much more time spent dealing with doctors and other FIL stuff: moving, settling in, etc. I'm kind of excited about all of it. I really am a geek--fall is my season because of the possibilities.

Bonus question: For the gals who are mothers, do you have an interesting story about labor and delivery (LOL)? If you are a guy pal, not a mom, or you choose not to answer the above, is there a song, a book, a play, that says "workplace" to you?
I would never, ever willingly choose to go through that sort of pain again, but I at least have a better attitude about the concept of pain than I did while I was giving birth to Sparky. I would stand up for myself WAY more than I did at the time.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.