Monday, November 26, 2007

Curious as a Cat

(Link at left)

1) Name an event where the power of the crowd was inspiring.
I don't like crowds, so this is quite difficult. All I can think of is some sort of church service, or (sadly) a Packer game. Oh, hey, wait: when I was in the Tournament of Roses parade, at the very end of it (it's almost 6 miles long), we were all exhausted and starting to fall apart. Some people came out of the crowd with cut up orange pieces for anyone who was really failing. Of course, I didn't take one (sticky, plus it meant breaking ranks), but for those who needed a boost, it was great. And it was great for morale either way.
2) What is your oldest article of clothing that you still wear?
Has to be the shirts I snagged from Dad's closet after he died. I don't allow myself to wear them often, just when I'm feeling especially low.
3) If you were to describe your first "real" kiss, what would you say?
I would probably say that it wasn't all that and a bag of chips. Neither of us were very good at it. There's a long story involved there that makes me smile, but I'm not sharing it. It just reminds me how very naive I was at 16.
4) When were you most moved by a ceremony?
ALL the time, so I'll pick one: I love ordination Sundays. I really, really do. When all the new elders and deacons are up front and the previously ordained go forward to 'lay on hands'... The first time I remember seeing that and understanding the concept (as a teenager), I was sure I could feel the Spirit in the room. It's just a completely awe-inspiring moment.
5) Show and Tell. What comes to mind first when you see this picture? Or, tell a story if it reminds you of one.
Public Domain Photo

Gee, well, it reminds me of Thanksgiving. Funny, eh?

One of the things that I especially love about Thanksgiving is that, regardless of how many people you are eating with, there is NEVER enough room on the table for all the different serving plates and bowls. I love the jockeying around for space, the "where did the potatoes go?" confusion, the "pass the butter when you find it" kinds of comments. It's even more fun if there is a second table (or more) set up somewhere else. It's the controlled mayhem and general joy, followed by the sound of everyone gone silent as they dig in to Round One.

I'm always sort of disappointed when nothing gets spilled in the course of the meal. No rush to the kitchen for paper towels, no expostulating to the kids to be CAREful!, no stains on the tablecloth for future years. Then again, those stains are really annoying for any other occasion. Heh.

Yes, it's clear I do love large groups of people eating lots of food in my house. I think I may have the Mom gene after all!

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.