Saturday, December 2, 2017

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
The Man in Black (1971)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 24, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?
Nope. I worked all day, came home and was in bed by 7.
2) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose? What would you buy?
Target, I guess.
3) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
I did both on Thursday. I watched a little football on Sunday too.
4) Thanksgiving weekend is a major time for travel. How far did you venture from home for the holiday?
I went to my niece's house, about an hour from here.
5) This week's song, "Man in Black," is about a singer who refuses to wear bright colors. What color are you wearing as you answer these questions?
Red, white, and blue Puerto Rico shirt, beige yoga pants, black sox.
6) Johnny Cash first performed this song at Nashville's Vanderbilt University. When were you last on a college campus? What brought you there?
Sparky still works on his college campus (technically, that's my college campus too), so when I visited him at work last month, I guess that was it.
7) The average American man wears a 10.5 size shoe, the average woman wears a 7.5. Johnny Cash wore a size 13. Are your shoes bigger or smaller than the national average?
Bigger. But then I am, overall, bigger than the national average.
8) He preferred his coffee very strong. To make sure what he was drank was to his liking, he carried a jar of instant coffee with him and would ladle it into his cup in restaurants. What about you? What's your standard coffee order?
"Water, please." I don't drink coffee. Long, traumatic childhood story involving my stubbornness.
9) While in the air force, Cash wrote short stories under the pseudonym "Johnny Dollar." Make up a pen name for yourself.
So, I'm assuming you know my legal name has nothing to do with "Cat." right?
+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (1971)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
In memory of David Cassidy, who died on 11/21/17.

1) This song mentions celebrating the holidays in "the new old-fashioned way." What's a holiday tradition that began with you (or your generation)?
Hmm. Chinese on Christmas Eve (before or after church depending on the timing) and then opening one gift under the tree and going to bed, followed by waking up the next morning and opening the rest while the Christmas Candle burns.
2) The lyrics include dancing, caroling and pumpkin pie. Will you enjoy any of those three between now and year-end?
I loathe pumpkin pie. I will probably whirl around the living room at some point; it's a thing that happens. And I will carol but not until Christmas Eve.
3) David Cassidy and The Partridge Family were intensely popular for a short period of time. For example, this song was from the best-selling Christmas album of the 1971 holiday season. Have you added any holiday music to your collection this year?
I haven't bought new Christmas music for myself in over a decade.
4) In 1971, the official David Cassidy fan club had a membership that exceeded both Elvis' and The Beatles'. Have you ever joined a fan club?
I think I did, briefly. Maybe?
5) David recalled that his first hero growing up was the Yankees' Mickey Mantle. When you were a little kid, what grown-up did you look up to?
Mostly adults I actually knew, hello.
6) David was a notoriously bad driver. In 1990, he was sentenced to traffic school for speeding. He was late for the class because he was stopped for speeding en route. Do you have a "lead foot?"
Nope. I have cruise control and I use it.
7) David's parents divorced when he was only four years old. He and his mom lived with her parents until he was 10. Have you ever lived in an extended, multi-generational household?
Nope. God help Sparky if he has to do this when I get old....
8) In 1971, when David and the Partridge Family were at their height, the US Mint introduced the Eisenhower Silver Dollar. Think of the last thing you bought. Did you pay with cash or plastic or your phone?
I paid cash for breakfast at McDonald's this morning.
9) Random holiday question: Let's talk regifting. Tell us about a time you regifted, or you received a present you suspect was regifted.
Look, if it's something I like, I don't care where it came from. If I hate it, I either pitch it or keep it to regift. So yes, I have a closet of things upstairs of things I can gift in an emergency.

1 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

I think I need a red/white/blue Puerto Rico shirt.

Funny, but when I was growing up, many of the adults I actually knew were not especially worthy of being role models.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.