Saturday, June 24, 2017

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Listen to the Music (1972)
Because Zippi requested it.
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics say, "What the people need is a way to make them smile." What song lifts your spirits and makes you smile every time you hear it?
Almost anything by Katy Perry: "Roar" for instance. Or Pharrell Williams' "Happy." Or almost anything by Bruno Mars.
2) Lead vocalist/composer Tom Johnston reports that he's made a lot in royalties because so many radio stations use this as a jingle. Tell us a jingle that sticks in your head.
I can still do the old McDonald's "Two all-beef patties, special sauce...." thing. And "plop, plop, fizz, fizz" for that matter.
3) The Doobie Brothers got their start in San Jose, California. San Jose is the largest city in Northern California, thanks to all the tech companies that have headquarters there. Let's talk about the device you're on right now: are all your applications up to date?
They are. I just had this puppy in the shop a couple of weeks ago, so I think things are still relatively clean.
4) When they were still a local band, the Doobie Brothers had a strong following among bikers. Are you attracted to biker culture?
I own stock in Harley Davidson. My father-in-law worked for them. Bikers are ok by me, as long as they aren't lawbreakers.
5) This week's song is from Toulouse Street, which is considered their "breakthrough" album. Tell us about a moment in your own life that you consider a "breakthrough."
I've been thinking about this brainwave for a few weeks: when I was about 12 or so, after a(nother) screaming match between my mom and me, I remember being in my room and suddenly realize that we butted heads so often because we were so much alike. This was not great news, all things considered since I was pretty angry with her, but it did help me understand and deal with some of her (and my) peculiarities going forward.
6) In 1987, the Doobie Brothers did a benefit performance for Vietnam Veterans at the Hollywood Bowl. Next to the Beatles, it was the fastest-selling ticket in Hollywood Bowl history. Which group do you listen to more often -- the Doobies or the Beatles?
Doobies. Not sure why, but they rotate around my Spotify more often than the Beatles.
7) In 1972, when this song was popular, Wranglers were America's best-selling jeans. Are you brand-loyal to one jeans manufacturer?
I mostly wear Lee blue jeans, and GV color jeans.
8) Grocery stores saw seafood prices fluctuate wildly in 1972 because of a series of confrontations between the United Kingdom and Iceland regarding fishing rights in the North Atlantic. (Iceland won.) What was the most recent seafood dish that you enjoyed?
Hmm. I can't think of any seafood....oh, yeah, I had crab rangoon with my takeout Chinese last weekend.
9) Random question: Which of these "top ten" lists would you prefer to be on -- the sexiest, the smartest or the richest?
Smartest.

2 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

I'm impressed by your "breakthrough." There are people who wrestle with their parents their entire lives, never seeing what you saw at 12.

I didn't know Gloria did color! I'll have to look for those jeans.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I was torn between smartest and richest. There is so much going for both. Have a lovely week, Cat.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.