Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Time for Me to Fly (1978)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) How often have you flown so far this year?
Just once, back from California in January. That's really really sad, that I haven't been on vacation in over 9 months.
2) Think back to your last flight. Was it pleasant, stressful, or just uneventful?
It was lovely. We flew first class. Free booze--not that I had any--free food, comfy seats, actual legroom. Plus, Beast flies often enough that he has access to the airline club area, so we could be comfortable prior to the flight as well with more free food and soft drinks.
3) According to the Airports Council International, the world’s busiest airport is Atlanta's Hartsfield. Have you ever been to Atlanta?
Nope. I live an hour away from another of the top 10 busiest airports in the world, so I use that as my hub. I've no desire to go to Georgia, except to be able to say I've been there.
4) This week’s featured band, REO Speedwagon, took their name from a truck. Have you ever driven a truck?
I used to drive a (small) truck every day. Way back when, I thought being a long-haul trucker would be a fun job. Now that I could probably manage the driving of a truck, I'm no longer quite as in love with the concept of being on the road 40+ hours/week. I have a nephew, Don, who has done that for nearly 20 years. The bloom is off that rose.
5) REO Speedwagon got their start in Champaign, Illinois, which is home to the U of I campus and, consequently, many bars. One of the most popular is the Blind Pig on Walnut Street. Give us the name of the bar, club or restaurant where you met up with friends in your younger days.
Then and now the campus bar for my college is named "The Club," sometimes appended with a number which I believe is the street address*, "The Club 330" for instance (not it's actual name). I'm pretty sure the only thing holding that building together is inertia and accumulated stickiness from spilled booze. Nothing has changed there in 30+ years.
6) Recently, lead singer Kevin Cronin appeared on an infomercial, hawking TimeLife’s two CD set of Ultimate Rock Ballads. Have you ever purchased anything from TV?
I have not. Somehow I've outgrown the urge; however, I have purchased things "As Seen on TV" from brick-and-mortar stores.
7) This song is from the CD, You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can’t Tunafish. Is there a can of tuna in your kitchen right now?
I believe I have some tuna in the pantry, yes.
8) You Can Tuna Piano, but You Can’t Tunafish is available on eBay on vinyl, CD, cassette and 8 track. Did you have an 8 track player?
Nope. I was too young for that fad! That's kind of nice to say, that I was once too young for something. ;-) I used to play the title song from this album (as in LP record) on the radio when I was in college, however.
9) In 1978, when this song was popular, the first Susan B. Anthony Dollar was minted. How much do you have in coins in your wallet right now?
My wallet's in the car, and I'm not running to the garage to check. I'd guess about $1.35. And 5 or 6 pennies in the cupholder of the car. Oh, and the M&Ms tube about 3/4 full of quarters. ...long story, nothing to do with laundry...
____________
*I just checked their website: the number comes from a train of that number which used to come through town at that time of day. It was a haunt of a famous guitarist before he was known; in fact his parents owned the place and operated it as a bar/club. The building itself is 100 years older than me and started life as a hotel; it was a cigar store, a boarding house, and a liquor store prior to becoming a bar. It's on the National Registry of Historical Places. I had no idea! Their "welcome back" to college special shots of the month (i.e. Sept/Oct) are Jagerbombs ($2.75) and straight Jager shots ($2.25). When I was buying shots in college, I seem to remember we got 3 for a dollar.

6 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

Wasn't it Thomas Marshall who said, "What this country needs is a good, $2.75 Jagerbomb?" But seriously, I think that's probably a good price!

Your answer about air travel made me so jealous. I'd love to fly first class.

katie eggeman said...

I have never been in 1st class except to pass through. I think I wouldn't mind flying if I could go 1st class.

CountryDew said...

I haven't been on a vacation in three years . . .

Kwizgiver said...

I've been on staycations, but no glam travel like you--I'm jealous!

I am Harriet said...

I've always wondered if first class was worth it. Sometimes, you can upgrade really cheap.

Cat. said...

Harriet, if you can do it once for cheap, DO IT! It's just so nice to be able to stretch your legs out! Then again, I'm taller than the average woman, so that is a 'thing' for me.

Also real silverware, and decent food and endless, immediate refills.

Why did we do this? Because it was a blowout anniversary thing and we just said what the hell, we'll never do a trip like this again. Beast gets frequent flyer miles so he upgrades to Business regularly, but 1st class is definitely nice. Like Coach used to be, actually, with more space. :-) Plus you can see into the cockpit occasionally if you look fast.

Gal, I haven't ever had a Jagerbomb, though I do at least know what it is. (...long story there) I think I mostly had amaretto sours and R&Cs there. And vodka shots.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.