Thursday, June 11, 2015

Questions, we got questions!

From several posts of Amy's consolidated into one here

Science Fiction, Fantasy or Horror?
Of the three, I'm most likely going to read fantasy, but I have read and enjoyed science fiction and horror many times.
Hardback or Trade paperback or Mass market paperback?
I really prefer hardcovers for the most part because they can be read 'flat' and the print is often bigger and easier to read. However paperbacks are better for travel, and trade paperbacks are great for notes.
Amazon or Brick and Mortar?
I have been trying to visit my local independent bookstore to buy books. They have an online ordering portal that makes it really easy, and then they notify me when it's at the store (or I can pay to ship it to my house). But I use Amazon A LOT for work--a LOT!
Barnes & Noble or Borders?
So, this is old....  I loved Borders but apparently their business model wasn't strong enough to head into the ebook era. I have a Nook, so rely on B&N for books and support for that. Not that I buy a ton of ebooks--mostly I borrow ebooks at the library.
Bookmark or Dog-ear?
I bookmark in books that aren't mine, but I have no problem bending pages in my own books. I write in books too. I am working my way up to tearing chapters out--a former pastor online friend kept a collection of old Bibles around that he would literally tear out Matthew, or Esther, or Genesis to give to people to read. Awesome!
Asimov’s Science Fiction or Fantasy & Science Fiction?
Is the question "hard" SF versus "girly" SF? I hate that distinction which just stinks of all kinds of snobbery. I've read Asimov and enjoyed his books (SF, mystery, fact), but he's pretty old-school these days. I loathe dragons, and I'm pretty tired of vampires, zombies and the like. Over the years, I've also lost any interest I had in space exploration--is that even a thing anymore?--but I love "other worlds" stories.
Alphabetize by author, Alphabetize by title, or Random?
Since I'm a cataloger, you'd think I'd be all about keeping things in order somehow, eh? But no. Nope. There is one shelf of cookbooks in my kitchen. There is a shelf of Bibles, Etc. which actually runs over into a second shelf. Otherwise...it's everything everywhere, and who knows where I left it! It's not even sorted by book owner/user! I've got Sparky books mixed in with travel guides and exegesis texts from my Dad. Oh, and the yearbooks are all together too.
Keep, Throw away or Sell?
I buy very few books for myself--says the woman who bought a book last week and another this week, hah!--but if I buy it it's because I plan to keep it. I do have a good-sized box of recently-excavated college textbooks that I'm going to start throwing in recycling, a couple at a time, this week. And we're selling some of Sparky's textbooks back.
Keep dust-jacket or Toss it?
Keep it, though if I'm reading a non-library book, I often take it off so as not to damage it. And all libraries should keep the damned dust jacket on as long as possible! I can't even understand why you wouldn't. (OK, yes, I can, but it seems silly economy to me.)
Read with dust jacket or Remove it?
Oops. See above.
Short story or Novel?
I like both. I read more novels, but I really like short stories, essays and novellas too.
Stop reading when tired or at Chapter breaks?
When I fall asleep or get done with whatever I'm doing at the same time as reading. I haven't forced myself to chapter-end for years, mostly because in the books I read, the end of a chapter is often a little cliffhanger-y which makes it an awful place to stop.
“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time?"
I'm not sure what this is asking. Crappy writing versus fairy tales? I want a good story, well-told, that has some grounding in a reality I understand.
Buy or Borrow?
Of the 100 or so books I read each year, I own less than 5% of them. If there wasn't a library around, I'd be in deep shit.
Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation or Browse?
Browse and reviews. I wait for my favorite authors to come out with new stuff. Honestly, I choose by cover often enough, too.
Collection (short stories by the same author) or Anthology (short stories by different authors)?
What I've discovered about short stories recently is that I really prefer short stories that relate to each other somehow, or else I really get confused. So generally a collection, but I do love my anthologies too.
Tidy ending or Cliffhanger?
I like some of the story to be tied up, but it doesn't need to be totally tidy. But I really, REALLY hate books that are obvious ploys to get you hooked to read the next book to find out what happened. Patricia Cornwell, I'm looking at you!
Morning reading, Afternoon reading or Nighttime reading?
I read all the time, whenever possible in fact.
Standalone or Series?
I read a lot of series (serieses?), but I do appreciate one-offs too.
Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?
Glass Soup, by Jonathan Carroll. Atticus by Ron Hansen. Anything by R.E. Derouin.
Favorite genre series?
Gotta be Gabaldon's, though I'm not sure what genre that is: time-travel historical erotica? There are also scads of mystery series that I love: Nevada Barr, Sue Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Marcia Muller, Bill Pronzini, Lawrence Block, Spencer Quinn...the list is long.
Currently Reading?
A Pleasure and a Calling (Hogan)--creepy as hell ; The Sixty-Eight Rooms (Malone)--children's book ; The Magician's Land (Grossman)--fantasy series, book three ; The Kite Runner (Hosseini)--beginning to understand all the kudos ; Back on Murder (Bertrand)--free ebook, nuff said ; The Bible's Cutting Room Floor (Hoffman)--the books that didn't make it into the canon ; The Ice Queen (Neuhaus)--German mystery ; Jesus (Martin)--travelogue + religion


Are you a good lover?
Hell if I know! I mean really, how would I know?
Are you a good musician?
Uhm. I could be if I practiced. I can sing, when my voice isn't trashed.
Are you a good comedian?
I can tell a joke and people even laugh sometimes.
What would be your ideal partner?
A reliable, adult male who knows his way around the kitchen, the laundry room, and the carpentry shop, who can tell a good joke, who takes life no more seriously than absolutely necessary, and who is realistic about his place in my world.
What is the strangest thing you've thought about, recently?
Tuesday morning I took my mouthguard out when I got up and have not been able to find it since then. We had cleaning people in that day, so about an hour ago I was in the garage digging through the garbage can to see if maybe it accidentally got tossed. I do believe this is the very first time in my life that I've ever done that. Because I'm that cheap--the thing was 15 years old, give or take! And now I can't get the smell of rancid chicken packaging out of my nose.
Do you want a church wedding?
For TJ, yes. My getting-married days are in the past. And frankly, if TJ didn't want to marry in church (or any house of worship), a) I wouldn't be surprised, and b) I would be disappointed but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. My parents weren't married in a church, after all.
Have you ever been banned from a public place?
I was not allowed in a bar one memorable time because Beast and I had on Harley leathers. The bar in question was in the city where Harley engines are manufactured.
How much spam email do you tend to get a week?
98% of it goes into the Spam folder(s) in my email account(s) so I don't really know. Of that which I see...there's probably an average of 5 a week that are truly spam. But I do get a LOT of stuff from signing up for various things. Ugh.
If you could learn any language fluently what would it be?
Greek.
What historical figure would you love to see in 21st century life?
It would be absolutely fascinating to see what the Founding Fathers would make of political life today. And maybe we'd get some serious answers for some of the serious questions.
As a kid were you ever frightened of a monster under the bed or in the cupboard?
Not those specific locations, but I was a big scaredy-cat. Though, actually, not really of the dark.
How long does it take you to get ready?
For what? Anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of days.
Have you ever been in a submarine?
Only at a museum. Twice.
What do you consider is the most important piece of furniture in a house?
Oh, it HAS to be a good bed. Without that, life is going to suck every day.
What do you consider is the most important appliance in a house?
What constitutes appliances? In the broad sense, HVAC; in the narrowest definition, fridge.
Would you say you are a good or bad influence to others?
Mostly good.
If you were a giant mega monster what city would you rampage?
I'd take out the entire state of Wyoming without blinking an eye.


Do you believe in the Loch Ness Monster?
Not really. I've seen Loch Ness. It's a lovely lake but I didn't see anything monstrous. On the other hand, I do believe "there are more things in heaven and earth" than we could possibly know about, so anything's possible.
Do you believe the Governments hide technology and information from the public?
Oh, of course they do!! And thank God for that because if I'm nothing else, I'm an ostrich about scary things.
Can you do ten revolutions of a hula hoop?
I'm going to say, based on my lack of a waist, no.
Do you think Great Britain should be part of a United Europe?
I'm virtually certain that most Americans don't even know it isn't. I don't have a problem with it, but I'm sure my British rellies would have a more informed opinion on this.
Were you part of the Brownies/Cubs/Scouts/Guides, etc.?
I was in Girl Scouts for a couple of years because my friends were.
Do you like marzipan?
Yum. It's not easy to find around here though.
Can you erect a tent?
I can follow directions. Otherwise, probably not. So, darn, I guess I'll have to stay in a hotel. Too bad.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.