Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Mysterious Ways (1991)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In honor of St. Patrick's Day (this coming Tuesday), we're featuring one of Ireland's most successful exports, U2. What else is Ireland famous for?
The Magdelen laundries, poverty, the IRA, drinking, being colonized (still) by England, potatoes, The Troubles, singing, and charm.
2) The Dublin studio where U2 recorded this song (and all of Achtung, Baby) is now a music store called Claddagh Records. U2 pilgrims from all over the world travel to the spot (Celia Street, Dublin 2). If we were to visit your neighborhood, are there any landmarks you could direct us to?
Well, first of all, Achtung Babywas recorded in Berlin. Hence the, uh, name of the album. ...not that I'm a GIANT U2 GEEK or anything.....

As to the question, my neighborhood is less than 15 years old, and all houses, so...yawn. I can show you where the failed Molotov fizzed in the street, and the places that were landscape-paint-vandalized a few years back, and the stupid non-road between this subdivision and the next one over. That's about it. We do have natural prairie areas, if you're into that sort of thing.
3) Lead singer Bono is rarely seen without his trademark sunglasses because he suffers from glaucoma. How is your vision? 20/20?
My corrected vision is about 20/20. My regular, uncorrected, vision is appallingly bad, and I found out yesterday that the concerns about glaucoma after my last appointment are just more structural weirdness than actual problem. Thank God!
4) Bono and wife Alison were married in 1982 and are still together today. Who is the longest-married couple you know?
There are some couples at our church that are on 6+ decades. It's rather startling to realize they got married before I was born....THAT LONG AGO! lol
5) When Bono inducted Frank Sinatra into the Grammy Hall of Fame, he applauded the older man's "swagger." Do you think you have swagger?
I was complimented today on the speed of my walking pace. I don't know about swagger, though. I don't really worry about it.
6) Bono has been honored by world leaders, including President Obama and Nelson Mandela and the Pope, for his philanthropy. Here's your turn to brag: tell us something you have received praise for recently.
I have heard from multiple people at work that we have an amazing and beautiful library, even from people whose libraries are bigger and nicer (architecturally and financially, etc.) than us. It's strange. I don't know about me, personally. I'm just trying to get through the days.
7) Clearly Bono is the most famous member of U2. Who else is in the band?
The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen. {softball} I've known those names for over half my life!
8) On St. Patrick's Day, will you wear green?
Yes. I don't really want to be pinched.
9) Will you enjoy a glass of green beer or maybe a Shamrock Shake from McDonald's?
Yuck. I don't like beer or whatever those shamrock shakes are made of. We'll have corned beef at some point during the week, with the fixin's, and I'm noshing on green-and-white sugar cookies right now. Yay.

6 sweet-talkers :

I am Harriet said...

I agree with you. 60 years is a long time to be married.

Kwizgiver said...

I'm with you on #7!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

#3, yes, for no glaucoma. Yay! and #4, I'm young enough to be a daughter to our friends who were married before WWII was declared, and I'm 72. No wonder they always wanted to boss me around.

Cat. said...

My parents were married in mid-1941, so if they were still around that would make this year their 74th. :-)

The Gal Herself said...

From the very link you provided, "Morale and productivity improved during subsequent recording sessions in Dublin, where the album was completed in 1991." Don't worry, I won't tell -- your giant geek credentials are still safe.

Cat. said...

Completed is not the same as recorded.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.