Saturday, August 2, 2014

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
My Life
If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.

1) This song begins with the story of a man who moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career as a comic. What comedian always makes you laugh?
Bill Cosby. Richard Pryor. George Carlin. Steven Wright. Emo Phillips. Wanda Sykes.
2) The lyrics say, "You don't need to worry about me 'cause I'm alright." Tell us about a time when you had to reassure your family or friends.
I'm the baby of the family--I've spent my life saying this. Usually the words "leave me alone" are involved as well.
3) This song was the original theme of the Tom Hanks sitcom Bosom Buddies. Tom Hanks is a direct descendant of Nancy Hanks, Abraham Lincoln's mother. Is there anyone noteworthy, celebrated or infamous in your family tree?
My dad always said that if we went back too far we'd find horse thieves and murderers. Otherwise, I don't think I'm related to anyone of import and that's just fine with me.
4) Before going solo, Billy Joel was in bands called The Echoes, The Emeralds, The Hassles and Attila. What do you think would be a good name for a band?
I suck at this sort of thing. Moving along.
5) Billy Joel wrote one of his most famous songs, "Just the Way You Are," for his first wife, Elizabeth. Even though they divorced more than 30 years ago, fans still demand he perform the song in concert. Do you go out of your way to listen to songs that remind you of a long-ago lost love? Or do you avoid them?
Depends on my mood. Mostly I listen to them, unless I'm in a blue mood overall.
6) In 2008 Billy Joel had to return a $3,000,000 advance for his memoirs because he didn't finish them. Have you ever read a celebrity tell-all?
Of course. They are generally disappointing. The worst, by far, was Shirley Jones' book that came out last year. So much there I never, ever needed to know!
j7) Billy Joel was in a motorcycle accident and did irreparable damage to his left thumb. Are you comfortable on a motorcycle?
I can't drive one, but I enjoy riding on them for short trips in warm weather. We own stock in Harley-Davidson, so I'm all about HOGs.
8) In addition to riding cycles, Billy enjoys sailing in Oyster Bay. Do your summer plans include time on a boat?
Nope. I can't swim and (smallish) boats freak me out.
9) Billy Joel is a popular college commencement speaker. If you were asked advice from the Class of 2014, what would you say?
Get a job, any job; you can be picky and get a better job once you have a regular paycheck. Pay off your loans, don't be a jerk, don't do things you know aren't right, and take care of your parents, especially if they helped pay for your education. Be the person you wanted to be when you were ten.

4 sweet-talkers :

Unknown said...

I love your advice! Especially take care of your parents. :-) I'm expecting that from my boys.

The Gal Herself said...

I haven't read Shirley Jones' bio because, well, I don't want to hear about a sexually active Partridge mom. BUT I did hear that if you have an early printing, it might be a collector's item some day. It seems that in the first edition, she talked about a foursome with Joan Collins and Anthony Newley. Joan Collins threatened a lawsuit and latter publications didn't include it. (Sometimes it pays to watch Entertainment Tonight.)

Kwizgiver said...

I shudder to think of Shirley Jones revealing too much information!!! Yikes!

Great advice--to be the person you wanted to be when you were ten.

Cat. said...

Pretty sure our library has that edition--that's the copy I read, and I'm pretty sure I remember that part. So, yeah, my only question is...WHY DID I FINISH THE DAMNED BOOK???

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.