Saturday, May 24, 2014

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
The Star Spangled Banner

1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
My father-in-law and my father served in the Army. FIL served in the early 50s during the Korean War in Germany; my dad was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. Neither of them saw combat. No one else has served, not because we aren't patriotic, but, at least in my family's case, we're mostly girls and my brother would have been sent to Vietnam had he been drafted. Beast and his brother came of age in the 80s and we weren't actually fighting big wars at the time. I think both our dads didn't really go with the ordering people around thing and encouraged their kids not to think that was a good work atmosphere.
2) Memorial Day also kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Mom's potato salad. She used red potatoes. That makes a big difference.
3) Let's celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What's your favorite flavor?
Vanilla. I'm boring.
4) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you rode a bike?
Probably 9 years. We really should sell the damn things. We live at the top of a hill, so the end of the ride ALWAYS sucks.
5) Or went hiking?
Haven't been on an actual hike in years, but we did wander through some state parks in the Appalachians in Tennessee in March.
6) Or rode a horse?
About 7 years ago. And that would be the only time I've ridden a horse. Yes, in spite of growing up "out west" I didn't actually have to ride a horse to school. Which, yes, I was asked when I started college in the upper midwest.
7) Or toasted a marshmallow?
Maybe a year or so ago. I'm not really a fan of eating them, but I'll toast them for others and then eat the chocolate and graham crackers alone.
8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or window fan on?
The house fan is on, and the AC is on, but not running today. I may open the front door and a window in back now that it's cooling down.
9) Crazy Sam needs your help: What song or a performer would you like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer?
Sleigh Bells--Crown on the Ground, Janelle Monáe--anything really, but especially Dance Apocalyptic, Katy Perry--Roar would be good, Scissor Sisters--I Don't Feel Like Dancing, TobyMac--Speak Life, William Shatner (yes really)--Has Been, I Can't Get Behind That, or Common People, Emeli Sandé--Next to Me.... Is that enough?

2 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

What eclectic music choices! ;-)

Cat. said...

That's me: eclectic! I shoulda thrown in some Verdi to balance things, eh?

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.