Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
The Two Memes in One Meme Meme - Happy Easter!

1: Who is your favorite Musical Artist from when you were a teenager?
I really loved the Bee Gees. And Billy Joel. Hey, I still do. Or, if they aren't Musically Artistic enough for you, I'll go with The Alan Parsons Project.
2: Who is your favorite game show host?
Chuck Woollery, of course. Though I loved Peter Marshall on Hollywood Squares and Gene Rayburn on Match Game. Burt Convy was pretty good too, even if Tattletales was really bad. And Alex Trebek on many of the really old, bad gameshows...and of course Bob Eubanks on The Newlywed Game was outstanding. No one since has matched him blank stare for blank stare.
3: Who is your Favorite Blog hosting service?
More German-style Capitalization....
I've used Blogger since I started back 9 years ago or so. I tried Wordpress and a few others, but always have come back to Blogger.
4: If you could meet anyone again from your childhood, who would it be?
Sticking with those likely to (mostly) still be alive, I would love to have a church youth group reunion to see what some of those clowns are up to now. ;-)
5: Where did you want to live when you were growing up?
"Far away from my parents." Mom and I clashed too much for me to want to stay in the vicinity. And everyone else in my family had moved away from the area when they grew up, so I guess I thought it was the "done thing" for us. I didn't take into account that I'd miss the mountains at least as much as I missed my parents.
6: What is the most interesting piece of Trivia that you know?
I'm a librarian: there is no such thing as boring trivia!! C'mon--my knowledge is miles wide and an inch deep, so I know random strange facts about everything from how siphons work (and the general principle behind moving water over mountains) to the author of the Dork Diaries. [two recent reference questions] I also can tell you who wrote "the fairy books" (Daisy Meadows) and the "Alphabet Mysteries" (Sue Grafton) and what the call number for basketball is (796.323). And that Sandy Koufax was left-handed, and where all the czars but one are buried (the church in the fortress of Sts. Peter & Paul near The Hermitage, a.k.a, the former Imperial Palace, in what is now St. Petersburg again).
Bored? Not me. I could go on and on....but I won't.
7: If you could live in any point of history when would it be and why?
Now. I need the meds, and as a woman things haven't ever been better.
8: What is the most interesting job you have ever had?
My current one is hands-down the most bizarre. Most interesting in the "well, that is off the list of long-term careers" was the summer I temped: both receptionists and food industry (hard-core food prep) workers have impossible jobs; one because it's beyond boring, and the other because of me being a klutz and the real possibility of injury from burns and sharp things.
9. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good, bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don't care, just share.
I don't have post-able pictures from that era (thank God!!). Mrs. White's 7th grade English class--for which we had to memorize a list of about 70 prepositions: about above across after against below beneath beyond....--was great fun. I sat near my crush, Joel, at the time who was "cute" in all the late-70s-appropriate ways. He brought a whoopee cushion to class one day and several people (NOT me) were subjected to mega-farts prior to the bell. That thing was flying all over the room before people got settled...and then Mrs. White confiscated it for the duration of class. In spite of looking like she would eat you alive if you didn't get your verb-noun pairings right, she was actually a very cool teacher.
10. What's your favorite Beatles song?
Depends entirely on the day. I like "Rocky Raccoon" and "Let It Be" and "She Loves You" and all of Sgt. Pepper about equally, to name a few that pop in to my head.
11. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be?
Pajamas. I have some unbelievably comfy flannel PJs....
12. Would you rather host a party or be a guest?
I prefer hosting, generally.
13. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that?
I think there will a place for both in the future. In the immediate future, paper books will continue until the ebook platforms standardize enough so that there's none of this Kindle-jacking of the big-names: books only available through Amazon, or readable by a Kindle. And of course publishers have to figure out the business model for ematerial. Right now, there are 6 major publishers that essentially are trying to screw over libraries over digital rights since libraries can keep books forever especially electronically. So why would 'we' (libraries) ever buy the same book again? We'd never have to replace anything because it wore out or whatever. It's a mess, and publishers are where the music industry was about ten years ago playing a losing game of Keep-Away while their profits dwindle.
Another topic you probably don't want me to get started on, eh?
14. Do you learn best by reading, listening or experiencing?
If it's a task that I need to learn, it's all about doing it; watching and listening doesn't really work for me. If it's a concept, I'm good with hearing or reading, but both is better.
15. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?)
Being a sexist pig is a death-knell.
16. Snacks. Salty or sweet?
Yes. Not at once though. ;-) You all know I'm a sugar-fiend. Give me iced sugar cookies or give me death!
17. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn't realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?
Hmm, I seem to still have Amy's Who Are You? book....guess that should go back to her someday. Otherwise, I'm pretty aware of the stack o' shit which needs sorting out and tidying before the house gets full-on cleaned tomorrow.
18. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie?
"Risky Business." No close competition. "Sometimes you just have to say, "What the fuck?"
19. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don't like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle?
Give it to the women's shelter. Or just finish it up.
20. Your favorite spring comfort food?
Uhm, see #16. I'm not really a seasonal eater.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.