Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge (which I'm doing on Tuesday because my Wednesday are weird)

(Link in meme-roll)

1. Chinese New Year will be celebrated on February 10th, and 2013 is the year of the snake. When did you last see a snake? Are you okay around snakes or do they give you the shivers?
I can't even remember the last time I might have glimpsed a snake. We had a program in the library awhile back that involved corn snakes, but that has to be a decade ago. Surely I've seen snakes, at least at a zoo or something, since then! Snakes don't creep me out as much as they used to, but I'm still not a giant fan of them.
2. The color red in Chinese culture usually means good luck. Do you believe in luck?
I believe that some things happen that are out of one's personal control, so if that is a definition of luck, then yes. However, a lot of "luck" is the product of choices we make, consciously or not-so-much.
3. Sledding-ice skating-building a snowman...if given a choice, which activity would you choose? Which of the three have you done most recently?
Sledding, or rather "Hefty-ing" or "traying." I can't skate at all. I've probably been involved in snow-building more recently than anything else, unless you count sliding around uncontrollably on ice.
4. Ralph Waldo Emerson is credited as saying, "The years teach much which the days never knew." Where have you seen this quote played out in your own life?
So many of my life-lessons have been learned while I wasn't really paying attention; it's only when I look back that I realize that I've grown and/or changed in any given area. Also, there's something to the sheer accrual of time spent on "keeping on" that adds up to a bigger whole that the sum of its days.
5. When was the last time you ate a cupcake?
Within the last month, surely.
6. What's something you can't say no to?
A giggling child, the offer of a really awesome dessert, and a midday nap on a lazy day at home.
7. Are you a doodler?
Sometimes, yes. I doodled a LOT at meetings at work over the past three years.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I really hope Connexion is working right today so I can catalog, a.k.a. "do my job." ... So I just went and looked and no it's not fixed. Short version:
This: 700 1  Loomis, Roger Sherman, {span style="color: blue;"}‡d{/span} 1887-1966, {span style="color: blue;"}‡e{/span} ed.
(except replace the { and } with the usual HTML side tags)

should look like this: 700 1  Loomis, Roger Sherman, ‡d 1887-1966, ‡e ed.

...and in the catalog, should look like this: Loomis, Roger Sherman, 1887-1966, ed.
I have to take out all the HTML coding on each line for every subject heading and every author/editor/etc. Or just stay the hell out of MARC Text Area. ...sigh. And yes, as a matter of fact, I know what all that other weirdness means: the 700 1 and the ‡e and ‡d.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.