Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
Our Players' Meme

1. You have been awarded the time off from work and an all-expenses paid week anywhere in the United States. The catch is that it must be somewhere you have not been before. Where do you choose to visit?
If it's now (i.e., August), I'll be headed to Alaska. If I can pick the time, I'd say the Ozarks in October.
2. Name three of your guilty pleasures.
Sugar, memes, and picture books.
3. The best kind of Girl Scout Cookie is:
Samoas (which are called Caramel deLites around here, which is LAME-O!).
4. What do you value most in other people?
Honesty.
5. Be honest. Do you sneak some raw cookie dough when you’re baking cookies?
I just skip the baking part completely.
6. Have you ever looked back at your life and realized that something you thought was a bad thing was actually a blessing in disguise?!
Yes, yes indeed I have.
7. What is the most beautiful place you’ve ever visited?
I'm a little partial to the Rockies, especially in Colorado. But the Alps are amazing as is the Angara River in January (it doesn't freeze and so is warmer than the air around it), and the Yorkshire Dales. And the Smokey Mountains. And Harper's Ferry. And the countryside around Florence.
8. Are you more of a thinker or a feeler?
Yes. I think I'm fairly close to the center on this continuum.
9. Name three things you are thankful for right now.
Sparky. Friends. Allergy meds.
10. Have you ever participated in a three-legged race?
Yes, about 36 years ago. Someone with a very twisted sense of humor invented that.
11. When you are at an event that plays the National Anthem, do you place your hand over your heart?
Yup. And sign along, with gusto.
Second meme:

12. What kind of work do you do?
I get paid to catalog books and answer random questions in a library. I shelve books for fun at the nearby high school library. I play bells in our church bell choir for (more) fun. I teach Sunday School to very small people for the most (unpaid) fun.
13. During the course of your lifetime, which job or career has been your favorite or most fulfilling?
I do like working with kids. I also like books and reading.
14. Do you think it’s necessary in your life to have a day-to-day "career" that is meaningful and service-oriented or do you function better in “just a job” with a steady paycheck?
Nope, I need a purpose, a reason to get up in the morning. I've had periods of my career being "just a job" and it S U C K E D.
15. Was there ever a time in your life when you wanted to stay home with your children instead of working, even if it meant less money in the household?
I did that for approximately 18 months when Sparky was between 1 and 3. It was the most horrendously boring period of my life. I nearly lost my mind.
16. Tell us your worst boss story.
Yeah, someday I'll do that. But for now I'll just repost something I discussed elsewhere, something that happened about 3 weeks ago:
According to public meeting laws, we are required to post library board meetings publicly (i.e., in the papers) no less than 48 hours prior to a meeting. The notice the DIRECTOR sent out at the beginning of the week contained the following information: ...Library Board [meeting will be held] on Thursday, July 25, 2008, at [the address for the (newish) parking lot across the street from the library]. To be clear, July 25 was a WEDNESDAY. So, she literally hit the trifecta of incorrect information in one sentence, which means if someone wanted to cause trouble, we could get nailed for breaking the law.
17. Have your ever been the boss?
I was "Acting Director" for PsychoBoss 6 months into my career as a librarian (jumping two seasoned librarians who wanted nothing to do with the title or position) when PB went into a locked mental ward for a week. Or two. Or three. I've been in charge of assorted other way-more-minor things over the years too, but that first experience killed any urge to be a director before it even had a chance to poke its little head out.
18. What is your dream occupation?
I'm in it.

2 sweet-talkers :

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I'm trying to wrap my brain around you teaching Sunday school. Ya never know... :)

Cat. said...

Oh, come on, it's not that much of a stretch, is it? lol

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.