Saturday, August 11, 2012

I have a bunch of these saved from Kwizgiver's blog from the last month-ish...here they all are, finally!!

7 deadly sins of reading...

GREED: What is your most expensive book? Most inexpensive book?
I can't even think what the most expensive book I own might be. I don't buy expensive books. Right now, it's probably one of Sparky's textbooks, though clearly those aren't technically mine. Still, his chem book was almost $400. Crazy much?? I have over a dozen Advanced Reading Copies of books I picked up in Dallas at the ALA conference in January. And lots of other books that have shown up free: as prizes, as gifts, etc.
WRATH: What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?
It used to be Sara Paretsky--there was a time that finishing one of her books meant it would travel at speed across the room at a wall (I'm not prone to throwing books, but they made me ANGRY). I've mellowed. Or she has. Nowadays, if I get that irritated over a book, I'm just as likely to stop reading immediately.
GLUTTONY: What book have you deliciously devoured over and over with no shame whatsoever?
The Little House books. I really need to get them out again!
SLOTH: What book have you neglected reading due to laziness?
I suppose James Joyce fits here, though since I've no interested at all in reading anything by him, it's not laziness. Maybe reverse snobbery? Otherwise, there are a lot of books in the too-long-to-read category. Tolstoy? I'd love to get his books on CD to listen to, but none of the libraries around here owns them.
PRIDE: What books do you most talk about in order to sound like a very intellectual reader?
lol ... Tolstoy? Shakespeare? I don't actually talk about books to sound intellectual. I talk about books because it's my job, and I like to read.
LUST: What attributes do you find most attractive in male or female characters?
I like real people, male and female, who mess up and find ways to redeem themselves.
ENVY: What books would you most like to receive as a gift?
I would love to have a collections of books ABOUT the books I like. I have the Diana Gabaldon book, and it's kind of fun to go back to it to see what she was thinking while writing the early books in the series.

olympic meme

1. If every day tasks were Olympic events what would you get a gold medal in?
Overthinking.
2. As a child (or now even) did you excel at a particular sport and if so which one?
I was unaware of how unusual it was as a girl of parents of their generation to encourage me to be outside running around. I played tennis against the house endlessly, I ran, I jumped rope, I shot baskets and played volleyball. I didn't do any of the sports particularly well, but I did them a lot.
3. Michael Phelps (swimmer) or Michael Johnson (runner) – which sport appeals to you more?
I can't swim. I can run. I'd rather see the runners, and honestly I'm pretty tired of hearing about Michael Phelps.
4. How fast can you get out of bed and ready to go out the door if [you] miss the alarm and sleep in?
If I shower, probably 25 minutes at the absolutely most. If I don't need to shower, probably 15 at the most. You can probably shave off at least 5 minutes from either of those if I'm really clicking.
5. What fantasy sport would you like to see made into an Olympic event?
I think Fantasy Sports are dumb. I would, however, love to see lacrosse and polo come back. Or tug-of-war. lol
6. Claim to fame time – Have you ever met an Olympian and who was it?
Nope. I am not interested in meeting famous people simply because they are famous.
7. What event in past Olympics can you remember most vividly?
Well, gymnastics of course. And track-and-field (which is called "athletics" in England and has the virtue of being shorter, but confusing) events: Bruce Jenner jogging around in Montreal after he won, that sort of thing. I also have vague memories of the tragedy at Munich. And way too many white pianos in L.A.
8. Tuning in at home, not for me, or tickets clamped ready in sweaty palms?
Since I don't like crowds, I'm much more likely to stay home. However, I suppose I could be talked into attending some of the "weird" events: fencing, the boat stuff, etc.
9. Who do you think most deserves a gold medal (any walk of life not just Olympians)?
Anyone who is currently doing two people's jobs because of the economy. And, yes, Allison: TEACHERS!!! :-)

Technically this is a tag/award from Allison:

Here are the rules for the award:
  • Each person must post 11 facts about themselves.
  • Answer 11 questions the tagger has given you and give 11 questions for the people you’ve tagged.
  • Choose 11 people and link them in your post. Tell them you’ve tagged them.
  • Remember, no tag backs.
Here are my facts:
  1. I'm the youngest of five kids in my generation. There are 20 years between me and my oldest sister, and 10 years between me and my nearest sibling. Those three siblings just mentioned are the only three of us still around.
  2. I'm the oldest tallest woman in my family, except for Rosellen, I think.
  3. I think really fast, and sometimes jump ahead of things way too fast when talking to people. It is off-putting. I try not to do it, but at some level I resent having to slow down.
  4. I'm allergic to cats and corn. Those are the big problems, but there are other triggers: dogs, spring-pollinating grasses, mold, and dust mites. Those are the ones I know about. I'm sure other stuff gets involved too.
  5. I collect salt-and-pepper sets, because my mom told me I did. When I was given "my" early collection about 12 years ago, it was still wrapped in newspaper published before I was born. Since then, I have ended up with twice as many sets, not to mention some salt dishes and spoons.
  6. Even though my dad and my son have the same color hair, I do NOT have red hair. He's the only child OR grandchild to get the hair (my sister Ellen had reddish hair, but not like Dad's). Fortunately, Dad was able to meet Sparky a few times.
  7. I've always been more comfortable with people a few years (or more) older or a few years (or more) younger than me, rather than my peers.
  8. I used to be unable to talk to boys when I was between about 8 and 18.  I have no idea why it was such a big deal.
  9. I have no patience for people who don't even TRY to be kind or sensitive to others. Nor do I appreciate those who are intent on remaining stuck in their original decisions; learn, change your mind, defend your choices, just don't be dumb and/or delusional.
  10. I don't like to plan meals. Or much of anything else. Except trips. I like planning trips.
  11. I don't do lists of things I want to do, nor do I do 5-Year Plans (see above). Having said that, I really want to go to South America (Macchu Picchu and Tierra del Fuego) and Africa (Luxor and South Africa, maybe Botswana?).

Allison's questions:
1. What is your favorite genre to read?
I read a lot of mysteries! That's the largest category of books in my GoodReads by far; next closest is ALL the nonfiction I've read in the past 25 years. But I just mostly like a good story, so I'll read just about anything.
2. How often do you read for pleasure?
At least daily, at least briefly.
3. Do you ever read books in your least favorite genre?
I try to read 'representative samples' of most fiction so I can at least say I've tried it. Nonfiction, though, no. I'm not reading ANY of the Obama-bashing shit. Course, I didn't really read the Bush-bashing shit either.
4. Do you snack when you read?
Ayup.
5. What do you do when you're in a reading slump?
I find something entirely different from what I've been reading. So that means if mysteries aren't working, I'll go find a biography, or a kids' book. Or a trashy magazine or two. ;-)
6. Are you easy to talk into doing something out of the ordinary?
I'm often the one suggesting something out of the ordinary!
7. Do you follow a daily routine?
I think it's hard to get through life without developing some routines. However, my work hours are different every day (I work 7-8 hours/day, ranging from 12-9 to 8-4 to 11-7. Beast has a terrible time keeping it straight. I love it. Usually.
8. Where do you keep your keys?
My house and car keys are usually in the car (when it's home) or in my work bag or on my desk at work. My work keys are hanging on 'their' hook (at home) or in my right pants pocket (at work).
9. What is your favorite song featuring a banjo?
Did you know that Steve Martin has a whole album of banjo music?? I like his stuff. And "Dueling Banjos" of course.
10. Do you drink bottled water?
If I'm out and about, I do. I don't always trust (or like the taste of) tap water.
11. How old is your blog?
My book blog began in 2004, so 8.5 years. Scary!
And I don't tag. So if anyone wants to answer these questions, have at it. Or go visit Curious as a Cat and do some of those questions.

Thank you, Allison!

1 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

Woo--that was fun! All those questions to catch up on.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.