Saturday, November 19, 2011

Six Word Saturday

(Link in meme-roll)

Today is Christmas Child packing day!!

This is the most fun day of the year for me in some ways. The fun starts with the newest VeggieTales movie (which I skip because I find these guys annoying and kind of creepy), which is aptly Christmas-y today at 3:30 on the big-screens in the 'sanctuary.' Then, pizza, which is when I'll probably head over. Then packing. I am, I guess, assigned box-checking duty, to make sure that the kids packing the boxes remember to get one of everything in (toys, toothpaste, hats, candy, etc.). Last year, I think we packed about 300 boxes (I wasn't there, and I don't remember). We're shooting for 75 more than that so that we can say that we've packed 2000 boxes in the past 12 years. The first year, I think we did about 75 total.

I really recommend doing something like this for the sheer fun value, for the feeling of having done something for someone besides yourself, and for the joy on the kids' faces (both the box-packing kids and the recipients). Next month, we'll be doing something along these lines on a community basis and delivering Christmas packages with (mostly) food (and some toys) to families in our local school district who are below poverty level. Surely there is something in your area like these activities; find out and participate. It's a blast!

3 sweet-talkers :

betty said...

That is a great project you/church are involved in! I also like the project for next month! Our church will be handing out toys to over 5000 kids in Mexico (I live in Southern California, about 10 miles from the border between US and Mexico). I'll be participating in wrapping gifts three weekends from now. Just love to be involved in things like this!

Enjoy your time!

betty

Cat. said...

Update: I heard from a semi-reliable source that we easily topped the goal of 371...by at least 30. There must have been 150 people there. It was a riot...in a good way.

Unknown said...

What a great project to be involved in. It sounds like everyone had a lot of fun!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.