Saturday, October 22, 2011

Six-Word Saturday

(Link in meme-roll)

Annual neighborhood chili cookoff is tonight!

I think this is either Year 5 or Year 6, but whatever. The neighbors all hang out together, eat each other's chili, vote on the "best," play with the kids, and generally just enjoy a night of fun that's very low-key. Nice. The weather is good again this year, which is helpful, but we've done it in rain (twice) and I remember one bitterly cold night too--lots of firepots that night.

Our chili contribution has been crock-potting for 18 hours. This year we added chunks of leftover roast from last night's dinner. We never win, but I almost always like our pot the best, so I don't really care; it's all in fun anyway.

'Course, this is also the marker for the Last Hurrah of Summer, so that's depressing. And Beast spoke to another neighbor yesterday who let him know that she and her husband are splitting, so that's a huge bummer; wonder if they'll both be there tonight? At least Halloween is coming, so we'll get to see all the neighbors again once more before winter really sets in....

4 sweet-talkers :

Olivia said...

Sounds yummy! I hope you have lots of fun!
suchakingdom.blogspot.com

betty said...

What a wonderful neighborhood tradition! Your chili does sound good! Who knows, maybe this year is your year to win!!

just visiting from 6WS; enjoy tonight!

betty

tonyamaries said...

Sounds like a great neighborhood. I hope you have a great time.

Call Me Cate said...

Yum! I'm planning to make chili this afternoon. It would never win any rewards but my husband enjoys it and that's enough reward for me.

Thanks for playing 6WS!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.