Friday, December 24, 2010

(Link in meme-roll)
Holiday Rock 'n Roll Christmas Songs

1. BAND AID: Do They Know It’s Christmas?
Popout
What is your favorite charity?
Probably the biggest donations go to my church, but I give to Salvation Army, the local homeless shelter, the local food pantry, and others.
2. BRENDA LEE: Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
Popout
What do you consider “rockin” about Chrismas?
Gotta be the gifts, innit?
3. JOHN LENNON-YOKO ONO: Happy Christmas/ War Is Over
Popout
What major world event/change would you like to see happen on Christmas Day?
I would love for us to be out of the mess in the Middle East, but I just don't see that happening. And I'd really really like all the U.S. politicians to be switched to a basic Blue Cross/Blue Shield health insurance plan tomorrow, with no option to buy their own insurance.
4. PAUL McCARTNEY: Wonderful Christmastime
Popout
What is your favorite Christmas memory?
Racing to help get the stockings stuffed after my nephew James FINALLY went to sleep (at about 11 p.m.) the year he was determined to wait up--in the living room--for Santa. I was probably 14 or so, and it was my first year 'being Santa.'
5. BEACH BOYS: Little Saint Nick
Popout
Have you been to California, Florida or some other warm weather place for the holidays?
Huh, no. What is the point of that? No, in fact, one year neither Wisconsin nor Colorado were cold enough so I left on the 26th for Moscow.
6. STEVIE WONDER: Someday At Christmas 
Popout
What would [you] like for a future Christmas for yourself and your family?
I'd love for all the extended family to get along and be pleasant and loving and fun for one day together. Ha ha ha ha ha.
7. WEIRD AL: Christmas at Ground Zero (this song was written in the 1980s and the video is quite humorous… it’s not about 9/11)
Popout
Have you prepared your family home for a catastrophic emergency?
Nope. Whatever we plan for, it's almost guaranteed that something entirely different and unforeseen will occur. We have basic plans for losing power and for tornadoes because those are frequent (power) and likely (tornadoes), but otherwise...life's a crapshoot. I've never been more aware of that than in the past 24 hours; a good friend was told she has breast cancer, the 19-year-old daughter of a family that used to go to our church was killed in a car accident, and a friend of my son's is struggling with some serious family issues. It's a weirdly sad day.
8. THE PRETENDERS: 2000 Miles
Popout
What is the furthest away you have traveled for Christmas or other holiday?
So yeah, Moscow (and points further east and south).
9. ELVIS PRESLEY: Blue Christmas (NO one does this as well as the King)
Popout
What is the saddest Christmas memory you have?
The Christmas after my dad and sister died was pretty horrible.
10. THE WAITRESSES: Christmas Rapping
Popout
Have you ever hooked up on Christmas Eve?
Not on the Eve, but on a Christmas break from college I pretty much did, yeah. Dumb but exhilirating. Also, it was quite warm that week, but I still had to wear the 100% wool sweater every day afterwards since it was the only high-neck shirt I had with me. lol
11. ELTON JOHN: Step Into Christmas
Popout
What is your favorite snow-related activity?
Catching snowflakes on my tongue. I actually don't mind driving in snow either, as long as I don't have a deadline to beat.
12. WHAM: Last Christmas (this is the full version video!)
Popout
Do you have any lovers or friends you have lost touch with and want to reconnect with? I'd love to have a heart-to-heart with Laura and clear the air, but I don't want to be the one to arrange it. She broke it; let her fix it. [also, this is NOT a Christmas song--it irritates me every year when it's played round-the-clock during December]13. BOBBY HELMS: Jingle Bell Rock (I love this song! One of the few I can listen to at other times of the year)
Popout
Have you ever been on a sleigh ride?
I have, but it was called a troika. Afterwards, we had latkes and vodka, and did the chicken dance in the middle of the taiga outside of Irkutsk. What a great memory that was! Crystal clear and cold day with that wintry blue sky and steam coming from the horses' nostrils...sigh. Brrr.

2 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

Thanks for posting all the videos. I agree with you on the Wham song: it's not Christmas.

DJ KathyA said...

Cat loved your Moscow sleigh ride story! Visions of chicken dancing now! I love the Wham song. dang. Didn't realise people did not consider it a xmas tune. Hmmm. I like dric=ving in the snow also...especially when the branches still have ice on them and everywhere looks clean. Thanks for playing the meme!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.