Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's Survey

(from Allison)

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? Drove 150 miles in a blizzard...twice...in one month. Acted as a nursing assistant in incredibly trying circumstances. Watched Beast become extremely overwhelmed with too much. Fed my mom meals of (basically) baby food.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't do resolutions. My word for 2008 was "thrive." This year...I dunno yet.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? There were babies at church, but none in my immediate circle of friends. My family...is hopeless at procreation.

4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes.

5. What countries did you visit? Fear, Horror, Dismay, and Sorrow...all here in the U.S.A.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Getting up off my butt.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? August 7 is the only one that I think needs to stick.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Clearing off my work cart after being horrifically behind for 7 months. Taking steps to get more involved in the community. Figuring out the Clerk of Session stuff, just in time to finish my term.

9. What was your biggest failure? I did not handle a diseased (or dis-eased?) relationship well; I didn't take strong steps to find a cure and it is probably beyond saving now.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing that losing at least two stone wouldn't alleviate. Oh, and that stupid eye infection that lasted all winter and spring.

11. What was the best thing you bought? Commercially: the Wii (tho' technically Beast paid for it). However, the best things I think I paid money for this year were the opportunities to serve with the youth on another mission trip to travel to ALA and spend time getting to know a colleague (now friend) better.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Sparky. And our president-elect.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Much of the rest of the human population. For some shining examples, read any front page virtually any day this year. If you insist on a name, let's go with the Illinois Governor because what he has been doing is so humiliating to anyone with a conscience.

14. Where did most of your money go? Gas. OK, not really, but it felt that way.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The new school. And watching the election returns.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? "Grace Kelly" Mika

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
 a) happier or sadder? 
b) thinner or fatter? 
c) richer or poorer? Less unhappy, waa-a-a-aay fatter, slightly richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Sorting photos.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Allison said it: "Sitting on my ass, figuratively and literally."

20. How did you spend Christmas? With family and friends, mostly laughing.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008? A little.

22. What was your favorite TV program? CSI:NY has been a pleasant surprise.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I don't hate anyone, but I am extremely disappointed with two people and trying to figure out how to extricate myself from dealing with them.

24. What was the best book you read? Pretty close to a tie between John (Niall Williams) and Ruby's Imagine(Kim Antieau).

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I can't think of anything right now.

26. What did you want and get? A wonderful mission experience for all, a fix for my eyes, iced sugar cookies, a Wii, the chance to say goodbye properly to my mother-in-law.

27. What did you want and not get? Lower cholesterol, duct tape over my mouth at necessary times, younger, thinner, time.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? The only movie I saw at a theater was Speed Racer (which I enjoyed, believe it or not). I've enjoyed watching I am Legend last month on TV. I can't think o f anything else.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 45 and it was just a regular day. I don't make a big deal of it anymore. Beast got me lovely cards and gifts. There was cake.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? I would like to stop second-guessing myself all the time.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Everything was too tight!!

32. What kept you sane? Blogging, work, music, friends, and (some) family.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I like Kate Winslet. OK, to be clear: I admire her. I can't think of any guys that fit the bill beyond the usual suspects.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? What, the presidential election wasn't a big enough deal?

35. Who did you miss? Dad. I could have used some good advice at a few key points, and a hug from him.

36. Who was the best new person you met? The library people at Sparky's school. Getting to know Andy at work better is proving to be a lot of fun too.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. The best gift I can give myself is a break.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.from The Lion King:

[We will stand by your side]
[Filled with hope and filled with pride]
We are more than we are
We are one

If there's so much I must be
Can I still just be me
The way I am?

Can I trust in my own heart
Or am I just one part
Of some big plan?

[Even those who are gone]
[Are with us as we go on]
Your journey has only begun

[Tears of pain, tears of joy]
[One thing nothing can destroy]
Is our pride, deep inside
We are one

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.