Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thoughts

Swiped from Lisa who stole it from Michael


Who are you?
Cat. Offline, I use a different name, but realistically the answers you find on this meme are pretty honest. Sometimes I'm snarky, sometimes I'm serious. I have lots of different hats: daughter, sister, mother, wife, aunt, friend, librarian, Presbyterian, neighbor, pain in the ass, etc. Some of those hats are comfy, some are not always the right fit. I have pockets of my life of which I'm deeply proud, and some that are constantly trying my patience. I appreciate the fact that I'm really pretty average and unremarkable. I have no interest in being famous. My 15 minutes are yours, if you want them.

Your Life’s Philosophy:
Lately, it seems to be "Smile Though Your Heart is Breaking."
Overall, I'd say it's a combination of "Fake It Till You Make It" and "Enjoy the Scenery of Life."

Your current mood is:
tired and sad. I haven't slept more than 5 hours straight through yet this week. I can't figure out what's going on. On top of which the crap that surrounds us has landed with full force again. I'm not sure how much more I can handle.

Define these:
* Life… is what you make of it. Or so I keep telling myself.
* Love… is all around, if we would just look.
* Success… is primarily self-defined.
* Happiness… is where you find it.
* Death… is hard for everyone, especially those left living.
* Fear… should never rule the rest of the emotions, but frequently does.
What are your views on:
* Abortion… I'm not sure I could have ever gone through with having one, but I will defend the right of any woman to have the option. It's really no one's business but the woman and her doctor. I would add the 'father', but so often the reason abortions are considered is because there is no excuse for a 'father' in the picture. I really don't approve (oh, I sound like a prude!) of abortion as birth control, but then I see all those children in Romanian orphanages 15 years ago, because actual birth control was unavailable...and abortion was 100% illegal....

* Wars… As Edwin Starr and Bruce Springsteen have sung: "What is it good for? Absolutely nothing." On the other hand, defending oneself is sometimes necessary. I want to be able to point out precisely how I'm being threatened, however. None of this should be read as an indictment of the good men and women around the world who are actually fighting the good fight to protect themselves from immediate harm.
Your faves:
* Author… I have too many to count. I'll list a few: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Sue Grafton, Charles Dickens, Charlotte Brontë, Robert Parker, John Steinbeck, William Shakespeare, Sara Paretsky....
* Music lyric… Well, I've now got that Edwin Starr song stuck in my head... ;-) Really, though, I would say my favorite is most of "Amazing Grace."
* Quote about life… "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." --John Lennon
* Curse word… Fuck! (Three years ago, I would have said it was "Shit" but things have changed.)
* Movie… Heathers. Or maybe Monty Python & the Holy Grail.
* Movie quote… "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."(C'mon, you HAD to know...!)
What would be the best job in the world?
Oh, hell, I dunno. Someplace far away from the idiots is all I ask.

What do you wish to accomplish in the next 5 years?
See Sparky finish high school and get settled in college. It would be great if we could figure out living in a state I don't hate. And sort out my family's papers.

Who will speak at your funeral?
Honestly, I don't really care; probably a pastor of some stripe or another. I want LOTS of hymns, and some bagpipes. Otherwise, whatever the left-behinds need/want.

How would you hope to leave this world?
Quietly.

Would you tell anyone you were going to die?
Like Lisa, I hate to tell you, but I am going to die! I just don't know where/when/how. If I knew in advance, I would tell those close to me, of course.

If you wrote a final letter to be read at your funeral what would it say?
Nope. Sorry. The performance ends at my death.

Upon arriving at the pearly gates… what would God say to you?
I hope God says, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Best way to start a conversation?
"Hello" usually works OK for me. Or, if I know you well, "Hey!"

And a quick way to end one??
Simply refusing to speak turns a conversation into a monologue. I'm not good at it, but I'm getting better.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.