Thursday, October 11, 2007

3x Thursday

(Link at left)
Musicians and Their Funny Ways

1. Do you like it when musicians do covers of original songs? Why/why not?
I'm not sure what to make of this question. I think it's asking about covers of pop songs (i.e. hits), which I don't mind at all, as long as the song is remade with the new band's personal take not just vomited back just the way it sounded originally. I heard a lovely remake of "How Deep is Your Love" (remember, The BeeGees?) this week done by a woman; it was stellar. On the other hand, "Bang a Gong" (remember, T.Rex, covered by...some 80s group) was vomit.
2. Do you think musicians in general are wierd? Why/why not?
I think you have to be "wired" a little differently to be an artist of any kind, but I wouldn't call musicians as a group weird, no. Certainly no weirder than other groups of people. I mean, look at your average group of librarians...!
3. What about when a musician goes out of their realm and tries something new? Are you able to keep an open mind about it, or are you one of those people who likes their artists to stay in the same general area musically? Why/why not?
Depends on how much I liked them originally, what direction they choose to grow.... Sometimes it's good, sometimes I just don't get it. For instance, I really did NOT get the whole Zooropa deal that U2 did in the 90s; it was just a giant "huh?" for me. I think I get it more now, but it's not my favorite era, though I still love them as a group. I love how Hanson has changed, though! Well, really, they could only get better (I'm not a fan, really, but their new albums sounds surprisingly good).

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.