Sunday, September 16, 2007

Situation Sunday

(Link at left)

Situation #1
You have been working months, even doing numerous weeks of overtime. You have planned a vacation that has been in the works for 7 months. Your family or friends are so looking forward to the trip. Plane tickets have been bought, hotels have been paid, suitcases are packed. The day before you [leave, your] boss has decided you cannot take the time off, pressing work matters need to be done, {Again, and again}. The trip is very important to you. Your job is a job that you have been at for 5 years. What do you do?
Well, if I were in a union, I'd call the rep. If I were working in a non-emergency position, I would call the HR department; I'd also take a look at my contract with the company to see if this is something that I agreed to when hired. However, if I did emergency work (police, hospital, etc.), I would have to understand that these things happen. Hopefully, I could get some of the money back. In the reality of my job situation though, I'd be looking for another job, whether or not I took the vacation.
Situation #2
You and yours are traveling abroad. You have planned a car trip when you get there, to see more of the country. You are in Norway. You start out in Bergen, and are traveling to the capital of Norway, Oslo. On the second day you are in the mountains, and a major snow storm breaks out. You do not realize how much snow is about to fall; you slide off the road and end up in a ditch. No one is hurt, but you are stranded with 4 1/2 feet of snow all around. It could be a very long time, weeks to be exact, before you even hear any plows. What do you do to survive and wait out the time? {No cell phone service}
I would, uh....OK, here's the deal: this just wouldn't happen to me. I grew up in the mountains. I know snow, I know how to drive in mountains and snow (at the same time), and I also know when to bag it and change my plans because of bad weather. I'd've stayed in Bergen and spent time getting to know more about it.
Situation #3
You and your spouse have 4 little girls. You try again for a boy and after a very dangerous [pregnancy] and hard delivery you succeed. You have almost lost your life in the delivery. And now you find yourself again pregnant: Baby #6 is coming. You are 32 years old, Do you go through another rough pregnancy? What do you do?
Nope. This is ridiculous. I would absolutely abort. I've heard it's still legal in this country, even.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.