Saturday, August 25, 2007

Saturday Six

(Link at left)

1. Considering all possible factors about a person that make us different, like age, appearance, religion, race, origin, sexual preference, etc., with 10 being the most prejudiced and 1 being the least, how do you think you would rate yourself?
I'm probably a 4 working toward a 2.
2. You’re having a problem with a product or service and you call customer service. You are finally connected with someone who has a thick accent that sounds difficult to understand. What is the first thing that goes through your mind?
"I need to get my hearing checked. It sucks getting older with my genes!"
3. A co-worker you like tells you that his or her church is holding an "open house" and is encouraging people of other faiths to visit. You and your co-worker are of different faiths. How likely would you be to attend?
I'd go, but if it's a church then it would be much of stretch for me, will it? Going to a mosque would be awesome (not that there is one anywhere in the area), as would attending temple or a session of chanting with the Buddhists.
4. Take the quiz: Are you prejudiced?
When I took this a couple of weeks ago, it said I wasn't prejudiced.
5. You lose a big promotion to someone who you considered to be less qualified than you are, despite the fact that you are only going by instinct in making that determination. If your boss later pulls you aside and explains that because of a growing effort to promote diversity, the other person was selected over you. What would your first reaction likely be?
I would never base a judgment of qualifications on my 'instinct!' I would base it on reason, evaluation, and reality. And if any boss of mine said this I would be looking for a job ASAP because that's just ridiculously stupid stuff to say to an employee. Can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T? Not from me, it's simply poor management to make comments like this.
6. Your car breaks down in a neighborhood in which everyone is of a different race than you: are you more likely to be uncomfortable?
If my car were to break down anyplace where I wasn't familiar with the are, I'd be uncomfortable. However, having said that, then yes, that would be exacerbated if I were the only middle-aged white chick in sight.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.