Sunday, July 23, 2006

Spirituality Survey

Religion / spirituality type

A Few Facts
1. How old are you? 42
2. Sex: F
3. Employment: Part-Time Librarian
4. At what age did you, or will you, complete your full-time education, either at school, or at an institute of higher education? 24
5. What is your marital status? Married, 20 years
6. What country are you currently resident in? U.S.A.

A Little About Your Religious Background
7. Were you brought up religiously at home? Yes. Oh yeah.
8. Do you belong to a religious denomination? Yes
9. If yes, which religious denomination do you belong to? I'm a life-long Presbyterian.
10. If no, were you ever a member of a religious denomination? If so which? n/a
11. Apart from weddings, funerals and christenings, about how often do you attend religious services? At least twice a month.

12. Independently of whether you go to church or not, would you say you are:
___A spiritual person
___A religious person
_
X_Both a spiritual and a religious person
___Not a spiritual person
___Not a religious person
___A convinced atheist
___Don't know
13. What does it mean to you to be a spiritual/religious person? I believe in the existence of something bigger than humankind. I believe this world was created, set in motion, by this "God." I do not believe the Bible is inerrant, but I do believe it contains an outline of our history and a blueprint for a way to live our lives. I believe it is possible to commune with God, and that God is intimately involved in our lives.

There's a lot more, but that's the skeleton of my beliefs.

Your Spiritual Beliefs and Practices
14. Which, if any, of the following do you believe in?
_X_God
_
X_Life after death
_
X_A soul
___The Devil
_
X_Hell
_
X_Heaven
_
X_Sin
___Resurrection of the dead
___Reincarnation
15. Which of these statements comes closest to your beliefs?
_X_There is a personal God
___There is some sort of spirit or life force
___I don’t really think there is any sort of spirit, God or life force
___I don’t know what I think
16. How important is God in your life?10 means very important and 1 means not at all important I'd like to be able to say 9, but I'm, unfortunately, going to go with 6

17. Which of the following spiritual activities do you practice?
_X_Prayer
___Meditation
_
X_Contemplation
_
X_Reading sacred texts
___Being in nature
_
X_Other: studying historical texts
18. How often do you pray, meditate or contemplate? At least three times a week; would love to say it's more often....

19. How often, if at all, do you think about the meaning and purpose of life? Not really all that often, actually.

20. People sometimes talk about kinds of personal experience which involve a non-everyday awareness of a presence or power. Here is a list of some of the kinds of things they talk about. Have any of these ever happened to you? If so how often?
_X_A patterning of events in your life that convinces you that in some strange way they were meant to happen: too many to list, but here's one: the guy I married I never, ever would have noticed/met/dated had we both not traveled over 1000 miles from separate starting points, and had he not been chasin my college roommate
_X_An awareness of a kindly presence looking after you or guiding you: so many different ways I should be dead
_X_An awareness of a sacred presence in nature: Mountains; 'nuf said
_X_An awareness of the presence of God: sometimes I can almost smell his aftershave in the room, when things are flowing unreasonably well
___An awareness that you are receiving help in answer to prayer:
___Experiencing in an extraordinary way that all things are ‘one’:
_
X_An awareness that you are in the presence of someone who has died: Hi, Dad. Can you wander through again?
_X_An awareness of evil: I consider clinical depression viable as Evil in Action
21. Do you think Christianity has anything to offer you? Yep; why else would I keep on?

22. Do you think the Church has anything to offer you? There are days when I wonder about this. Generally, and in theory, yes. Practically, I have my doubts.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.