Monday, June 21, 2004

I was 13 for most of 1977

Title: When you were 13...

Close your eyes and think back to when you were 13. I know, I know, but it's just a visit, not a permanent return! Are you there? OK, try to remember:

1. What did your nightstand look like? Was it an actual nightstand or some other 'leftover' piece of furniture (i.e. desk, TV tray, dresser), or the floor?

I think when I was 13, my nightstand was the corner-shelf Mom had repainted a sort of turquoise color for me. On the other side of the bed was the desk with matching paint, although the top was wood. It was always covered with crap--I almost never used it for actual schoolwork. Some things don't change!

2. Who had pride of place of your posters? What was hanging where you saw it last thing at night and first light of morning? Why? (C'mon, be honest, even if it's mortifying, as mine is. A bit)

Horrors: Andy Gibb, the BeeGees and (briefly) Shawn Cassidy. The Pride poster was the 4' x 6' shirtless Andy Gibb poster. Oy. I actually have a scrapbook with tearouts from Tiger Beat that used to adorn my walls: the above along with Tony Danza, Scott Baio, uhm...this is just too embarrassing...

3. Closet: disaster or spotless?

More disaster than spotless. But not as bad as my son's!
It was a big closet, since I had what was the original master bedroom to the house. When I was born, my parents added a room above the garage for themselves, and everyone rotated. As a young child, up till around age 5, my room was pretty tiny with a very interesting bendy-but-small closet. When Nancy graduated from college, Paul moved downstairs and I moved into 'his' room. The tiny bedroom became the TV/sewing room.

4. First-hour class? Or can you recite your whole schedule for 7th grade?? What time did school start and end?

My first homeroom was in the art classroom, which was deadly hard to find (what does that "B" in the room number mean??). I think my schedule was something like band, social studies, art/shop (later in the year), math, English (just before lunch), social studies, gym, science. We had quarters of science (geology, phys. sci., biology, and ... something). And somewhere in there was Home Ec 2nd semester.

I remember roaming the halls, all the students circling like caged animals before school started everyday. School started at 8:30 and ended at 2:30 or so. We usually got there around 8 for the Grand Promenade (she says, rolling her eyes). Laura & I walked down alleys to get to school, most of the way; years later, when I told my mom that, she flipped. NOW I finally understand why!

5. First serious crush, the one that made you stop eating, and made you want to cry all day: did you ever tell him/her? Did you ever go out on a date with him/her? Did anyone ever have a crush on you (that you know of)?

In 7th grade, it was J0el Str!z!ch. We sat next to each other in our alphabetically-assigned seats for English where we were learning prepositions: about above across after against...she had us memorize a list of about 50 common ones. Anyway, J0el used to poke me in the ribs with pencils and at one point had a whoopee cushion he tried to get people with. He never got me (I had an older brother who had trained me very well to be aware of tricks). J0el called me once over the summer, but niether of us could think of anything to talk about.

He was at the 20 year high school reunion. It was very surreal sitting at a table chatting and eating dinner with him and his wife!

I remember I kept a notebook at this point in my life that listed all the cute guys, at school and "stars" (TV and movie). I'd go through it periodically (about every 6 weeks) and re-rate them all. I wonder if I still have that notebook somewhere. It was very organized. Even at the time I realized this was either very pathetic or hysterically funny.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.