Saturday, November 12, 2011

Patrick's Place

(Link in meme-roll)
Saturday Six

1. What is your favorite food?
I will eat virtually anything sweet: cake, pie, candy, cookies...bring it all on! If no sweets are around, I'll happily eat anything carb-based: pasta, bread, crackers....
2. Who were your heroes or people you looked up to when you were young?
My parents and siblings were "it" when I was very young. Eventually, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Nancy Drew joined them. In my teen years, I still admired my dad (Mom and I were too much at loggerheads at that point), but other people were joining him, including authors and teachers and people at church. I can't think of anyone specific--well, ok, Corrie Ten Boom--but there weren't too many national figures who were doing it for me. Gotta remember, Watergate happened when I was 10ish, so my view of politicians, et al., was negatively impacted at a rather young age.
3. What's the best part about your job?
The fact that, for the most part, it's variable. Some days are all cataloging--LOVE those days!--and even then I can decide what to work on, but some days are all reference, and that is just always pot-luck, for good or bad.
4. What is the one thing for which you are most grateful to your parents?
Life. I'll just stop there, but being the last kid, 10 years after all my siblings...yeah. Life.
5. What was/is the one thing your parents did that most made you angry?
Huh. I don't remember getting mad at my dad too often. And I'm sitting here, hands on keyboard, trying like hell to remember what it was that Mom I fought about all the time.... I think the thing with Mom was that no matter what I did, she was critical: the floors were never clean enough after I vacuumed, my handwriting was never neat enough, I didn't appreciate the clothes she made for me (she hated sewing and we were broke, but damn they were so un-cool!), and so on. I could go on about how I 'get it' now, but I think I'll save that for another time. I'm feeling a little bruised about parents and parenting today.
6. What is your favorite time of year and why?
Mid-fall, when the leaves are colorful, but still attached, the days are warm but the nights are brisk, the sky is usually clear, and the smell of burning yardwaste is on the wind.

2 sweet-talkers :

Patrick said...

Thanks for playing, Cat.

Watergate happened when I was about 4, and so my memory is more about being angry at those old guys who sat around those tables with the green table cloths talking all afternoon instead of letting me watch game shows or cartoons! :)

Cat. said...

I just remember my dad being disappointed (in that uniquely parental way of being disappointed) with Nixon, for whom he'd voted. And I was glad it wasn't I who disappointed Dad so much!!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.