Saturday, November 5, 2011

Patrick's Place

(Link in meme-roll)
Saturday Six

1. Do you think you have the same accent as most of the people who live in your neighborhood, or do you sound like you’re from somewhere else?
I think I sound like I'm from somewhere else sometimes, but less so than I used to. I've lived in the Midwest now for over 25 years, so that Western drawl-thing is pretty faded. Unless I'm talking about or to family or Colorado people.
2. Have you ever been mistaken by a stranger as being from somewhere other than your place of birth? If so, what’s the farthest from your hometown one has guessed you’re from?
No one has ever really mentioned this to me. This makes me think I sound so wackadoo that people know I'm "not from around here."
3. If you had to come up with a name for the dialect you hear most often, what would it be?
Midwest nasality. People around here TOTALLY talk through their noses. Makes me nuts. I fear the nasal, and I am sure I do it. :'(
4. Take the quiz: What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
You Speak General American English!
60% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
Yup, that about sums it up, although I think I have more than 5% "Midwestern" in me.
5. What regional word or expression common to your area do you find yourself using most often?
I'm kind of afraid that I'm losing my "th" sound, as in Sout' Side. I try not to. What I do find myself doing is talkingreallyreallyfast likeeveryonearoundheredoes.
6. Which regional word or expression common to your area do you hate the most?
I loathe with a passion the AAAA sound as it exits the nose when saying sAAt, mAAth, rAAck (rock), stAAAAp! (stop!), etc. OMG this grates like nails on a chalkboard to me!

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.