Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Margaritaville

1. Tell us about a time that you had way too much Jose Cuervo.
Since I don't really like margaritas, the only time I've had too much tequila is when our Spanish class was given free drinks upon checking into our hotel in Puerto Vallarta. All of us got a little tiddly, except those who didn't like the drinks (Tequila Sunrises) and gave them away to others who got downright blitzed. None of us knew there was alcohol in the drinks till we noticed certain people behaving quite unlike themselves. I was of the tiddly clan, not the blitzed subgroup, by the way.
2. Do you agree with the following statement: "The older you get, the faster time goes by"?
To a certain extent, I do. I once had a friend of my mother's try to explain scientifically why this happens. I still don't get that, but it does seem like the days fly by in a way they didn't do when I was, say, 8.
3. What do you usually do during your "down time?"
This.
4. When it comes to the opposite sex, do you feel you have a grasp on 'em - or do they continue to just surprise you?
People, as a rule, surprise me. It has nothing to do with sex, or even gender. [Note that I left the whole 'grasping' commentary out, though I admit to having a little giggle at it....]
5. What is your home town famous for?
My HOME town is famous for once having the biggest shopping mall, under one roof, in the world. It was torn down years ago. My current place of residence is NOT famous, though the town where I work has a certain fondness for winter and rodents.
6. How many romantic relationships have you had?
Real or imagined? In the 100% real camp, I'd chalk up 4 or 5.
7. What's the best concert that you've ever been to?
U2's most recent tour was excellent, both because they were great but also their opening act was outstanding (unlike the Vertigo tour).
8. Which famous person would you like to meet? Why?
It would be interesting to have a pint with the Edge. 'Course, I'd have to have something besides beer, but....
9. Has a newspaper or television reporter ever interviewed you? If so, what were the circumstances and what did you think when you read or saw what you said?
I run from extended microphones, so no TV time for me. However, I have been interviewed a couple of times for local papers about stuff at the library. Both times the reporters did a good job of capturing what I said and making me sound relatively intelligent.

However, recently the local paper did an interview with a first-time author in our area and she mentioned having talked to the "person in the children's room" about some issues she was having with the cover art, and she got everything about our conversation wrong from the fact that I'm not the Children's Librarian (note the difference in title there), and what I said to her was not reported accurately. And, yes, she is, at least ostensibly, a reporter for that paper. The consequence of all this was that the actual Children's Librarian was caught flat-footed and feeling like people might read this and think she favored censorship. What a mess. The good news: the owner/publisher of the paper is a friend of mine so at least I can suggest a couple of things that would keep this from happening in the future. It's called "research", which most reporters know they should do after an interview.

/rant

7 sweet-talkers :

I am Harriet said...

There is a scientific explanation for that? Who knew?
Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/02/earn-your-video-game-degree/

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

The "imagined" relationships are SO much better! :) Happy Saturday...

DJ KathyA said...

I always thought The Edge was the hot one in the band. ;-) I bet you miss that mall! I know I would. Bummer about being mis-quoted and mis-jobbed. Enjoyed your answers. Have a great weekend Cat!

Cat. said...

The Edge and (swoon) Larry...

Kwizgiver said...

I think Larry is the swoon-worthy one, too. Who was the opening act you saw? I remember seeing Huey Lewis in concert and the opening band was the Neville Brothers-- that was a party and we almost enjoyed the NB more!

Cat. said...

I had to go look it up: it was Snow Patrol. They weren't as great as the Neville Brothers--that would truly be awesome!--but SO much better than Kings of Leon on the Vertigo tour. I've never, ever, heard an opening act boo'd like KoL were. They stunk.

But Snow Patrol=great. Have you heard them?

Kwizgiver said...

I have a couple of their albums--I really like them!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.