Saturday, December 13, 2008

Food for Thought Friday

(Link in blogroll)

Breakfast
Do you have a real Christmas tree or an artificial one?
It's fake. I've had artificial for about half my life, and I love them. MUCH neater, less fire hazard, cheaper, fewer problems with allergies.... When I was quite young, and for the first 10 years or so we were married, we had real trees. My parents got tired of buying a new tree every year about 1972 (around the time the shit hit the fan financially for them), and the allergy thing finally killed off the real trees for Beast. I was miserable all month with a real tree in the house. I find it very ironic that most of the trees in Colorado are in the pine family, but I didn't develop a problem with allergies until I moved to the midwest.

By the way, the tree has yet to emerge this year. It's a nuts year!
Lunch
Do you give a Christmas gift to your nearby neighbors each year?
Nope. Just one family, and I think we are taking them out to dinner someplace nice this year because of all the nice things they did for us in August. Belated. But heartfelt.
Dinner
Have you ever done the 12 Days of Christmas or had it done to you? Was it anonymous?
OMG! Shoot me if that ever happens! It sounds like hell from either side: I'd have to shop for 12 separate gifts, and I'd feel guilty about receiving 12 things I probably don't like (ahem--fussy? me??). We used to do Secret Sisters at work, and I was not fond of it. When we finally had some adult males on staff, it was cancelled. I nearly threw a party to celebrate. It's one of the reasons I tolerated that first guy better than most of the staff, I think. ;-) [actually, I love him--he's an awesome guy]
Midnight Snack
What time do you typically get to bed on Christmas Eve?
We go to late service at church, which (now) starts at 10:30. Used to be closer to midnight. Anyway, by the time we get home from that, it's close to midnight, and then getting the stockings done and unwrapping at least one gift before bed...generally it's 1 at least before I hit the sheets.

The rule for Sparky has always been that he can't go into the living room alone on Christmas morning, and he can't wake us up before 7. Later is better. Of course, that's not the big deal it was when he was checking on the Santa situation, but he still gets up at ungodly hours most mornings--even after being up quite late, he can't sleep in--so the "not before 7 and later is better" rule stands.
Recipe for this Week (instead of your recipe for life - what is it for just this week?)
If it gets done, yay. If not, oh well, move on. Nothing is as critical as lowering the stress value in our lives.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.