Saturday, November 1, 2008

Saturday 9

(Link in blogroll)
Being a Good Sport

1. Were you raised around a lot of sports?
My family didn't play sports, though we weren't against them. It was just that my parents were in their 40s when I was born, so they were TIRED! My brother wrestled one season, at least two of my sisters played volleyball in the days before Title IX; I joined the basketball team and the volleyball team in school two different years. I played tennis with my dad. And we watched football somewhat religiously. I think my dad would have been more into sports if he'd had more sons (yes, he was that generation!). My mom couldn't have cared less about sports of any kind.
2. What is your favorite sport?
To watch: football. To play: tennis, but I haven't played in decades. I used to like to run, too, and I don't turn down volleyball, either.
3. When did you last play a sport?
Volleyball, youth group a couple of years ago. Although, in our current youth group, spoons is a full-contact sport.
4. When did you last attend a professional sporting event and what was it?
I was at a minor league baseball game this summer. Before that (and excluding that team), it was probably a Packer game several years ago.
5. What was the last sport you watch[ed] on TV?
It must have been Monday Night Football.
6. If you have children, do they play the same sports that you did? If not, someday if you have kids, would you like them to?
Uh, no. Sparky is a good swimmer, but he's not much for team sports (well, frankly, neither is his mother). He's also got astoundingly little interest in playing sports much to his father's chagrin. Would I like him to? Yes, but it's not that big a deal for me.
7. Do you think other people care too much about sports?
Of course. Chomsky was right and Marx was dead wrong: sports and pop culture are the opiates of the people. Proof? Spend ten minutes involved with college football fans.
8. Do you have the freedom to be as involved in either playing or watching as much sports as you’d like to?
Sure. Beast doesn't make me watch baseball or hockey, and he tolerates me watching skating and gymnastics during the Olympics. ;-) ...though, I wouldn't mind having season tickets for the Pack...
9. Who is your favorite sports team?
You mean, you really have to ask??

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.