Monday, December 3, 2007

Give Me Five Monday

Give Me Five things you like and/or dislike about Christmas trees (putting them up or fond memories, favorite ornaments or tree toppers, etc.)

1. We no longer get a real tree. For the first 12 or so years we were married, we went and cut down trees almost every year, but we always had a real one. We now have an artificial tree. I'm allergic to the tree (if I touch it), and we thought having a fake tree would alleviate the allergies. It didn't work. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's much easier to put the tree together and take it apart than it is to slog through mud or snow, water the damn dead thing for a month, and then vacuum for 2 hours trying to get all the needles out of the house. Ugh.

2. I have one ornament from my mom's childhood. It's porcelain and either a fairy or a cherub or something along those lines, very delicate. We also have about 15 wooden ornaments that I painted when I was a child. They aren't very lovely, and I didn't get them out this year, but I do like to look at them.

3. We never EVER try to make our tree look like a showcase. Beast is less OCD about the lights being "perfect" than he used to me, and Sparky is better about hanging things everywhere instead of at his eye-level, and I try to get the garland (which I always called 'tinsel' growing up) sort of artfully draped, but otherwise everything is very much multi-colored, uneven, and fun. I'll take a picture at some point.

4. We have a tiny table-top tree that my mom used to take to work (and hang blue glass balls on--I have most of those too) for the holidays. Remember when you could have Christmas trees in courthouses? Anyway. We use it for all our Star Trek/Star Wars ornaments, the ones that talk and blink and make noises. Cuz, we're really nerdy.

5. At the end of the season, when we take the tree down, the living room feels fabulously empty!

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.