Friday, July 2, 2004

The Longest Freakin' Meme Ever

Blame this on Amy. I’m stealing several of her concepts too; marked with a *. Unlike Amy, I’m unable to skip fixing the screwed up grammar...at least that which I noticed!

1) Starting time:
5:03 p.m.
2) Full name:
*My full legal name has 21 letters and no hyphens. My first name has four letters.
3) Nicknames:
Don‘t really have any. Except maybe "Mom" and "that bitch, who does she think she is."
4) School:
Undergrad--CC. Graduate--State school nearby CC.
5) Email:
*I have 4 email addresses, one of which is readily accessible from this blog.
6) Eyes:
Hazel
7) Height:
5’8” and shrinking (last time they measured me I was 5’7½”
8) Siblings:
Currently, 3 older (2 sisters, 1 brother) ranging from 50 to 60 years old

HAVE YOU:
9) Ever been kissed:

Yes. Got a nice juicy one from my kid today ... ;-)
10) Ever cheated, or been cheated on:
Not that I’m aware of
11) Ever missed school because it was raining:
Because of RAIN?? Nope.
12) Ever faked sick:
Yes I missed two or three days of school in a row in grade school and my mom ‘had a talk’ with me about it. I never did it again. She didn’t even yell. See the power of calm?
13) Kept a secret from everyone:
Yes. Who hasn’t? Even I’m not that chattery. My mom still doesn't know I went to Italy--and slept in the same room--with a guy. Or maybe she does and just doesn't care...
14) Had an imaginary friend:
No. I had imaginary families, classrooms, dorms, workplaces, spaceships.... My whole life was imaginary for many, many years.
15) Wanted to hook up with a friend:
Oh yeah. W@rren G@al. Every female wanted to hook up with him!
16) Cried during a flick:
I cry in most movies. I’m a big sap.
17) Who is your "star crush":
I’ve given up on these. There used to be several but that was 20 years ago. I don’t have time or energy anymore for being in love with imaginary people. But I do think there are several attractive actors out there...
*Actually, I think I’m in love with Jamie in Diana Gabaldon’s books!
18) Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend:
Since The Beast reads this once in awhile, I’ll have to say no! ;-)

FAVORITE...
19) Drink:

*Alcoholic--vodka tonic or Cuba libre; Non-Alcoholic--diet Dr. Pepper
20) Food:
Anything sweet, especially sweets with no chocolate. I really like Smarties (the American kind, not the British variety). Wonder Bread is also a vice, just squished up into a ball....
21) Restaurant:
The Mill (which, conveniently enough is about 5 minutes from home)--looks like a bar, but the food is to die for. Also like P@ul##’s, our local ’za spot.
Chains: Applebees’ has a special place in my heart. We ate there on the way to the hospital when I was induced. My last meal before Momhood. The Beast proposed at Chi-Chi’s so I guess I have to mention it, but it has really tanked (or my tastebuds have improved?) in the last 20 years. I also love The Olive Garden. Who does salads and breadsticks better for cheap?? That is, outside of Italy.
22) Shampoo:
Clairol Herbal Essence. Yes, those awful ads. But it’s the only one I can find that doesn’t mess with my skin. (It sucks being sensitive, poor me. Hah)
23) Color:
Blue, although I’m finally beginning to appreciate some greens
24) Summer/Winter:
Of these two, SUMMER. I. Hate. Winter.

25) Online/Offline:
I don’t understand this question. I love the computer, have used online services now for over 12 years. But I also fight a real battle with it eating up my life. It’s very addictive, in a serious way, for me.
27) Like anyone:
Hmm, I think you’ve lost me on this one too. I like lots of people, I tolerate more, and I loathe a large percentage of humankind. Are we talking "like" like (like in high school)? [y’know I just had to write that: three "likes" in a row] I "like" my husband, most days.
28) Who have you known the longest out of your friends:
The friend that I still keep in contact with whom I’ve known the longest is Laura (she’ll always be Laurie Lee). I met her in 1970 at Mrs. B’s house. She was the catty-corner neighbor. Who do I know the most about? Probably Jenny. Those are my soul-pals; in my head, they are so alike they are almost one person. But yet, not. Hard to explain.
29) Who's the shyest:
Sherri (now married, new name). She was my roommate freshman year and never left the room except for classes and meals. Oops, no, she did go to one schl@g (er, dance) with me, at Halloween. I think she’s still shy, but I don’t really know any shy people now. Hmm, well, I don’t have any shy friends; I actually think I know plenty of shy people.
31) Who do you go to for advice:
The Beast. And the Big Guy. If I need advice about The Beast, I skip to The Big Guy and then bring in reinforcements (i.e. friends) as necessary. My family is so full of advice--usually unsolicited--that I never need to ask; I get it regardless.
32) Who do you get along with:
Which day? heh Usually, I’m pretty easy to get along with, but not when I‘m trying to work and people are talking. I don’t know; I have my cranky days. The Beast and the boy would probably say I’m a bitch about every 5th day, and I can attribute that to lack of sleep most of the time.

IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS HAVE YOU?
33) Cried:

Probably. I ‘leak’ a lot, but I don’t remember any specific recent incidents
34) Been mean:
Yep. Not as bad to my kid though. Mostly at work.
36) Been sarcastic:
Well, YEAH! ;-)
37) Been yelled at:
Raised voice yelling? No. Snipy, bitchiness? Yes.
38) Talked to someone you have a crush on:
Don’t have any current crushes. So, no.
39) Kissed someone:
Hmm, yeah, quite a lot.
40) Hugged someone:
Ditto
42) Wished upon a star:
Yuck.
43) Laughed until you've cried:
Hmmm, yes, I think I have. Playing poker got a little weird last weekend. The Beast was doing “World Poker Tour” play-by-play which morphed into “SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!“ etc. Because it was Sunday night.
I think you had to be there.
44) Played Truth or Dare:
I haven’t played this in about 20 years. Yuck. Real life is too much of a dare to play around with it for 'fun.'
45) Watched a sunrise/sunset:
Yes. Almost nightly.
46) Gone to the beach at night:
No, because there’s no beach we’re allowed to be on, even though we live in the Village of ________ Lake. It’s a private lake. Which we pay to keep clean. Yeah, ok.
49) Been lonely:
Yes
50) Been happy:
Yes
51) Talked to someone online:
Well, I’ve emailed and I’ve blogged. I don’t IM because of #26. Anyway, so, yes.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN......
52) God/Devil:

Yes. Implicitly
53) Love:
Yeah, but not that gooshy-Hollywood-Disney fairy tale crapola.
54) The Closet Monster:
No. Had to have this explained to me. My bogeymen tend to be real: murderers, rapists, religious extremists...
56) Heaven/hell:
Well, this is an interesting question. I do believe in both, but not necessarily as places. No fluttering wings or red dudes with pokey sticks! I’ve been working on this conceptually for about a decade. I really do think that Jesus’ Kingdom of Heaven was about people on earth creating God’s Kingdom. Not about a place to get to as a reward, but as a place to get to because of freakin’ hard work and intentionality. It’s like that feeling one gets when EVERYTHING is perfect; it usually lasts, oh, about 25 seconds. That’s the Kingdom of Heaven. The rest of the time, when things are in the dumper and life is sucking and you’re living in a bubble that no one else can see? That’s Hell. So is that place of utter discouragement with self. See why I fear religious extremists? I’m creating dogma without a license!
57) Superstitions:
No, not really. Although I joke about it a lot.

58) Half empty or half full:
Depends on the day. I used to be a Pollyanna all the time. I’m kind of headed the other way as I age.
59) Who named you?
My sisters staged a revolt because they had such sucky names (e.g. Wilma). My understanding is that I was named after a friend of one of my sisters.
60) Favorite quote:
Too lazy and tired to look one up, so I’ll use the one I put on my book blog last night:
    "Books cannot always please, however good;
    Minds are not ever craving for their food." -- George Crabbe (1754-1832)
61)When was the last time you showered?
Yesterday [Thursday] morning. Today was Firecracker 500 day: me sitting in the sun watching the boy do 50 50-meters at the pool, followed by Sam’s Club and lazing around. Bath tonight.
62) What is the last thing you said online?
Hmm, well, THIS.
63) What is right next to you?
I hate this question. There is a shitload of crap all over the place on my desk here at home. I do not lie. There must be 10 things within 8 inches of my fingers. So: The Beast’s notebook, a spiral notebook and pen, the mouse, the boy’s homework (which needs to be corrected), a piece of notepaper re rental housing in G@len@.... paagh
64) What is your computer desk made of?
MDF with fake-wood plastic covering.
65) What was the last thing that you did?
Presumably before this? OK, I made notes on G@len@ rentals. This is my reward.
66) Where do you want to go on your honeymoon?
I’d like to have one someday, but then again, we’ve been so many cool places that it really doesn’t matter that much.
67) Where do you want your wedding?
Too late.


FUCKING PYROS ARE BLOWING UP GARBAGE CANS DOWN THE ROAD!!

SORRY--I JUST JUMPED ABOUT 3 FEET. THE BOY EVEN NOTICED THE BANG.
68) Where do you live?
In a fucking loud neighborhood....sigh.
OK, I live in a new subdivision in a sage green bungalow-style house on about 2/3 of an acre of former farmland. Our house looks at a rusty nasty water-tower, about 100 feet high. I love my house. Really. The neighbors...? Well, one set I especially hate...
69) How's the weather?
*Lovely. 79°F, Fair, Feels Like 80°F, Humidity: 61%. The weekend looks like crap but today's beautiful.
70) What did you do last night?
Went to a swim meet for 5 hours.
71) What are you doing tonight?
Taking a bath, figuring out sleeping arrangements for the weekend. We’re going out for supper and to replace the boy’s blind (Home Depot cut it too short, dopes). Low impact. I work tomorrow.
72) How do YOU eat an Oreo?
I‘ve been eating the new blonde Oreos. They are much better than the chocolate ones, IMHO. (see #26) I eat them the same way I eat every cookie (no taking apart, as I’ve grown out of that stage).
73) All time favorite TV show:
All time?? Well, then I guess Gilligan’s Island. Or Bewitched.
74) Dream vehicle:
Where I live now, I’ve got it: a compact pickup, manual tranny. If I lived in the mountains: Jeep CJ7
75) What do you want to be when you grow up?
That will be....when exactly? I’m already there and I’m pretty content. I’d like to travel more. Otherwise life is really pretty good.
76) Favorite music:
*I like a variety. In the car today we were listening to Classic Queen. Meat Loaf at work this week, along with Taj Mahal and Bette Midler. Billy Joel. Show tunes. Classical. Sousa marches
77) Favorite band:
*See above. I still like almost everything the Beatles did. The Beach Boys make me happy. Or depressed, depending on my mood. Otherwise, I need to hear the song before I commit.
78) Favorite food:
*Haven't we done this already? Yes ...
Anything carb loaded works for me; I’m getting hungry. How about Devon cream teas....yum
80) Favorite days of the week:
Mondays (sorry, Mr. Geldof)
81) Favorite animal:
For cuddling, nothing beats a dog. Too bad I’m allergic to them.
82) Brand of clothing:
Whatever’s cheapest when I need it.
83) If you could change your name, what would it be:
*I wanted to do this when I was a kid. Tina was the name for awhile. Jo was a long-lived one. Now, I like my name, although perhaps I’d drop The Beast’s last name. My full name is very unwieldy.
84) Do you sleep with a stuffed animal:
Not anymore
85) The stupidest thing you have ever done?
Far, far, far too many possibilities here. To pick one: getting in a garbage-tossing match on the 4th of July at the lakefront in Wisconsin with another group of people. It never occurred to me they could be drunk when I stood up and threw it all back at them (the second time) and told them to “Stop it!!” in my best librarian voice. Everyone in my group (especially the boys) was horrified and ultimately quite impressed. The other folks stopped throwing garbage, by the way.
86) First son's name:
He’s named after his dad and my dad.
88) First daughter's name:
Not. Gonna. Happen. (but I like Josephine)

90) First crush?
Jim Phillips, 5th grade. He was in 6th. I wore a cute little dress constantly to impress him. We sat next to each other and goofed off while Mrs. M read some weird 50s sci fi book out loud to us.
91) On the phone or in person?
Huh? I’d prefer to talk face-to-face, but for those of my family and friends in different area codes, the phone is a godsend.
93) If you could change something about yourself, what would it be?
Keep. My. Mouth. Shut..
94) Where were you born?
A hospital just barely in Denver CO
95) What kind of pets do you have?
My son has two guinea pigs
96) Who sent this to you?
No one; I stole it from Amy.
97) What do you think about this person?
I think she’s a wonderfully thoughtful writer who cracks me up on a regular basis. She’s too smart for her job. And she’s very good at her job. And she's interesting, in a very good way.
98) Your favorite songs?
I like all the songs from “My Fair Lady.”
99) Anything you want to say to everyone?
* Obviously--that's why I have a blog
OH! And vote!
100) Do you want your friends to do this survey? * Sure. Because I’m sure they have all the time in the world, too!
101) Time finished:
6:10 Straight through. No edits. I’m saving it as a draft and ‘fixing’ it tomorrow (or later).

SHOOT
ME
;-)

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.