Saturday, August 5, 2017

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Wouldn't It Be Nice? (1966)
... because Nonnie recommended the Beach Boys
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In the video for this song, the Beach Boys dive into the pool with all their clothes on. Have you ever ended up in the water while fully clothed? If yes, were you pushed?
If I've been pushed into a pool, I've blocked it--I get downright panicky when people start horsing around on the pool deck. I have, however, walked in the rain to the point of being soaked to the skin at least twice, probably more. Yes, it's true, I'm too dumb to come in out of the weather. ;-)
2) In this song, Mike Love sings he wishes "every kiss could be neverending." Where did you receive your first kiss? Was it wonderful, or awkward?
My first boyfriend kiss was awkward, but not so bad as to stop. My first kiss-from-a-cute-boy was indescribably embarrassing and wonderful.
3) Brian Wilson was the creative force behind the Beach Boys. It's possible that the group's legendary and unique sound came from an incident of bad parenting. Brian's father hit him so hard with a wooden plank that he is deaf in his right ear. Which of your senses is sharpest -- sight, hearing, smell or taste?
Probably smell. Beast jokes around that I'm the family canary--I can smell everything from a pretty great distance. This is a curse as well as a blessing, believe me.
4) Brian's brother Dennis was the cutest member of the group, and also the only one who could surf. Have you been to the beach yet this summer?
Nope. Not my thing, honestly.
5) Dennis was also the Beach Boys' most colorful member. In 1968, he struck up an unfortunate and dangerous friendship with Charles Manson. Is there anyone in your life that you worry has bad taste in friends/lovers?
I have several friends with lousy taste in men. However, overall, most of my friends are quite sensibly aware of how strange people can be. I worry more about Sparky and people his age because most of them (thankfully) just don't have experience.
6) Lead singer Mike Love is the grumpiest Beach Boy. He refuses to perform if the concert promotional materials refer to the group or their songs as "oldies." Does it bother you to hear the songs, TV shows and movies of your youth described as "classics" or "oldies?"
Nah. I'm old, and I'm the first to admit it. Also, some of those songs and shows were simply horrible either in retrospect or even in my memory.
7) This song has appeared on soundtracks for movies as diverse as Shampoo (1975), The Big Chill (1983), 50 First Dates (2004) and It's Complicated (2009). Do you own any movie soundtracks?
Very few. I'm more into stage soundtracks.
8) In 1966, the year this song was popular, the Miranda Warning became law. Without looking it up, can you recite any of the Miranda Warning?
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed free of charge. Do you understand your rights?" I went and looked and I missed some important points.
Interestingly, I have heard that British police--who don't have a history of making this statement when a subject is arrested--have come up with something similar because of all the criminals watching U.S. movies and TV shows who demand their "rights" not be waived. I'm tellin' ya, the field of crime is not full of Mensa members....
9) Random question: The local college is pleading for models of all ages and sizes to pose for the life drawing class. Would you help the kids by volunteering to pose in the nude?
Hell no, I've no interest in this. Nor in posing fully-clothed, for that matter. Also, they aren't kids. [I saw the last sentence as I copypasta'd and almost dropped my computer on the floor--WTH!!]

3 sweet-talkers :

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Miranda rights. Stay silent, anywhere- UK or USA, and stay silent until you are asked if you want an attorney present. Say yes. They must provide one for you if you cannot afford it. It's always best because of the atmosphere around arrest. That thing in the UK is asinine.
I agree about the art class thing. They can go get a dalmatian and draw that.

CountryDew said...

It is a curse to be over-sensitive in any area.

The Gal Herself said...

Cat. the Canary! I love that name for you.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.