Saturday, July 29, 2017

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Angel (1998)
... because Bev recommended it
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Sarah McLachlan wrote this song about someone she barely knew. She read the obit of Jonathan Melvoin, keyboard player for the Smashing Pumpkins, who died of a heroin overdose. What's the most recent news story that touched you deeply?
I have actively and methodically spent the last 7 months trying to disengage my emotions from the news because otherwise I would be locked in a small padded room screaming. However, Dumpster's pronouncement re transgender people this week got my attention, and I'm so gratified to see so many people telling him to fuck right off about that. 
2) Ms. McLachlan performed this in tribute to Linda McCartney at the 1999 Concert for Linda. She was expressing her hope that, in death, Linda found relief and peace after a long and painful battle with cancer. What do you think happens to us when we die?
I'm pretty sure our souls do whatever souls do and move on and don't care about what stupid things we're up to back here. At least I really hope so. I think after death, we all deserve some fun and joy no matter what our lives were like.
3) Daytime dramas General Hospital and As the World Turns used this song on-air after a major character died. Do you follow any "soap operas?"
I used to watch GH when I was in high school, back just after the whole Luke and Laura storyline. And I worked with some DOOL fans who insisted on watching at lunch in the library workroom back in the 80s/90s. Since then, no.
4) In 2007, Sarah donated her recording of this song to the ASPCA. Do you have a pet? If yes, how did you get it (shelter, pet store, etc.)?
We've gotten all our guinea pigs at a pet store, except the three that were born here after our "two males" turned out to be a boy and a (pregnant) girl.
5) She admits she can't watch those ASPCA commercials, where her recording of "Angel" plays over sad photos of animals. Is there a TV commercial that really gets to you (in either a good or a bad way)?
Yeah, I don't even try to watch those or the "kids need help" ads. I leave the room, fast forward past them, or mute them. I do not need more guilt in my life.
6) In 1994, Sarah was stalked by an obsessed fan. Tell us about a time you were really frightened. In retrospect, was your fear commensurate with the threat?
Usually, I react with a little more drama that necessary. However, sometimes I'm fairly calm in the face of crisis. Fear? I'm usually not afraid till later.
7) Sarah was adopted by Jack and Dorice McLachlan. Though she has a friendly relationship with her birth mother, she always considered Dorice her mother and sees herself behaving with her son the way Dorice did with her. Is there anyone in your family that you feel you resemble, either physically or by behavior?
My mother and I were too similar in personality to ever get along well. I'm trying to develop more of my dad's traits as an adult, although he certainly had plenty of less-than-admirable habits. I got my temper from both of them; this is pretty much awful. I look just like my dad's mom, apparently, whom he also resembled.
8) McLachlan is one of the founders of Lilith Fair, a summer concert series designed to showcase talented female performers. Do/did your summer plans include an outdoor concert?
Nope. I don't do crowds, I rarely do concerts, and I really don't like outdoor concerts like this at all.
9) Random question: Which of these men would you most like to be seated with at dinner -- Clint Eastwood, Prince William or Jimmy Fallon?
Jimmy Fallon. I'd probably not be able to eat a bite from laughing, but what a hoot. Prince William...well, that would be mortifying, thanks! And Clint? Uhm. Maybe 30 or so years ago....

3 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

A stranger -- a woman at the laundromat, folding her fitted sheet (and doing it perfectly, which filled me with envy) -- just went off when the transgender ban was mentioned on TV. "Those people volunteered and he never served!" She hardly looked like a wild-eyed liberal. I think our President may someday regret that ban.

Cat. said...

I'm not sure he knows what "regret" means....

Kwizgiver said...

Jimmy would be so fun to sit with. I can imagine giggling with him.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.