Saturday, July 30, 2016

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Jamming (1977)
... Because Eloquent Obi suggested Bob Marley. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In Jamaica, "jamming" means to celebrate. What's going on in your life today that's worth celebrating?
Hmm. We went to a "Celebration of Life" service this morning for a 22-year-old. I don't care what you call it--it's hard to not cry when someone dies that young. Otherwise, we're celebrating being all together as a family for about a day--but sitting in the living room together on our individual electronic devices and ignoring each other. 😳
2) The group that became famous as "The Wailers" originally called themselves "The Teenagers." What was trendy when you were a teenager (clothes, music, etc.)?
Tight pants on men, lots of hair on everyone with LOTS of hairspray, (not where I lived, but ...) punk music, the beginning of skinny ties, and Laura Ashley. Oh, and how could I forget: Gunne Sax!!
3) Bunny Wailer and Bob Marley were very close. In addition to being bandmates, they were friends in elementary school and later became family (Bunny's dad and Bob's mom had a daughter together). Who has known you the longest?
Outside of my family members, that would be Laura; we met when we were in Kindergarten. That would be 47ish years. And since I'm Facebook friends with her brothers and mom--them too, by sorta-definition. But neither of us married into the other's family. That seems kind of...icky.
4) Does the person you named in #3, the one who's known you longest, know you best?
Not so much anymore. Which is fine. But she still knows a LOT of my secrets, whether she remembers any of them or not. We can literally say a word on Facebook and know the other one will laugh LOUDLY when she reads it. One of them is "ruthless." hee
5) Bandmate Peter Tosh became an avid unicycle rider. What's your favorite form of exercise?
I hate sweating. Right now, breathing makes me sweat--I'm not sure if there's something wrong with me or it's really that humid even inside with the a/c on. So I'm not exercising at all. When it's bearable, about the only thing I do hate is either walking or basic stretching: Pilates or yoga.
6) Bob Marley was known for his signature dreadlocks. When were you last in a stylist’s chair?
I think it's been about 2 weeks. Hang on, I'll look ... July 15th.
7) Marley's charisma is credited for popularizing reggae music the world over. Are you a fan?
I love good reggae. But I also have about a half-hour time limit for nonstop reggae; after that I need a break with something else. Like a palate cleaner when tasting wine. I like ska and reggaeton too.
8) Mr. Marley is one of the highest-earning dead celebrities, and manufacturers pay his estate to use his likeness to sell their merchandise. What dead celebrity have you seen recently on a t-shirt, mug, poster, etc.?
Does Leonard Nimoy as Spock count? If so, this morning on a T-shirt Sparky brought home. If not....uh...I can't think of anyone.
9) Random question: Have you ever had your palm read?
Not professionally. I went through a period of obsessing about learning this when I was younger. I have a 1/4" break in my life line about halfway down it. I've always wondered what that meant. Now that I'm fairly certain I've passed my halfway point....I still don't know!!

2 sweet-talkers :

The Gal Herself said...

Leonard Nimoy does indeed count.

So sorry for your loss. I know it's a cliche, but at least the ceremony brought you all together.

Kwizgiver said...

Celebration of life--I don't know how I feel about that expression. I went to one two weeks ago and it was very much a celebration, but it was poignantly sad, too.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.