Friday, April 29, 2016

Yup, definitely crazy: 5000 questions

(Found here)
Part Two

101. What does happiness/joy feel like physically? For me, it feels like there's too much oxygen in the air, and absolutely no pain, and my face hurts from smiling, and my heart beats faster. I'm probably not breathing very deeply either.

102. List five people you love starting with the one you love the absolute most.
A Sparky
B Beast
C Rachel W.
D Trud
E Amy

103. How many movies have you gone to see this month? Actually, this month I haven't seen any. Beast saw a couple while we were on vacation, but I didn't want to sit in the theater of a cruise ship when I could sit in the @&(%#ing SUN!

104. If you could have 3 wishes...but none of them could be for yourself, what would you wish for? 1) Eradication of child abuse/neglect. 2) Some way of conveying the critical importance of every individual on Earth to others, and themselves. 3) Eradication of global warming.

105. In what ways do you relax and de-stress when you are really tense? It depends. Sometimes, I need to talk it out. Sometimes, I need to be alone and cry (or not). Sometimes, I just need to work through whatever it is so I can forget about it. Sometimes, listening to music helps (sometimes it doesn't). Praying. That almost always helps.

106. How much money would it take to get you to drive to school naked in the springtime and get out of the car? There isn't enough money for me to drive to ANY school naked, EVER. Yuck. How unhygienic! Among other reasons.

107. Have you ever killed an animal? Yes. Not because I wanted to, mind you.

108. Have you ever lost someone close to you? Yes. Dad, Ellen, Jean, Mom, MIL, FIL, aunt-in-law, Nathanael....all waiting for me on the other side. The list has, at least, stopped getting longer.

109. What do you think of cloning? I don't have a stated policy on it. Generally, I don't have a big problem with it, but there are some sticky ethical issues in the details.

110. Do you read or watch TV more often? To my despair, more TV.

111. With all this talk of terrorism going around are you willing to sacrifice rights and freedoms for increased safety? I think we need to stop where we are. It's getting a way past out of control.

112. What is the punishment you would come up with for Osama Bin Laden if you [had] caught him alive? I certainly would have made sure he looked ridiculous on TV for as long as possible as often as possible. I wouldn't have martyred him.

113. Have you ever named an individual part of your body? Of course. [Actually, no--I think that's really weird. Is it just guys, or do girls do it too?]

114. Have you ever been on the radio or on TV? Yup.

115. Have you ever won a lottery, or sweepstakes? Nope, mostly because I don't participate in them, I suppose.

116. Have you ever won a contest or competition? Yes. A few. I do enter those on occasion.

117. Do you like to watch The Joy of Painting show with Bob Ross? Is there even a place TO watch anymore? Beast's dad loved watching him (a.k.a. sleeping with the TV on).

118. Do you know what your grandparents and your great grand parents did for a living? Keep in mind that all of them were pre-19th Amendment for at least the first decades of their lives. My dad's parents were homesteaders; Grandma also worked at a telephone exchange as an operator before marriage. Grandpa built houses. Their parents, I'm pretty sure, were all farmers. Mom's dad worked for the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad and her mom was a teacher before she got married. After they settled in Denver, he worked odd jobs and hauled luggage for various hotels after he couldn't work on the D&RG anymore. He left home at 13 and never looked back so we have no idea what his parents did (or, well, I don't). The grandparents on the other side...I could look up but I don't know off the top of my head. Keep in mind we're talking about the Reconstruction period, so it's not really that recent.

119. Is there anything really interesting in your family history? Dad always threatened we'd find horse thieves in his family tree.... There's nothing important or history-book-worthy about anyone. I come from peasants. It's a good heritage and I'm perfectly happy continuing in their shoes--with a little more financial security to be sure.

120. Is there anyone you trust completely? Nope. Just God. I've had the rug pulled out a lot in the last year by people I thought I knew I could rely on. It's not a particularly bitter feeling--I've discovered that I don't have to base everything in my life on one or two people when there are dozens I can ask for help. Our vacation this month certainly taught me that: each of us met a different woman in Puerto Rico in (different) fairly dire circumstances that glued our hearts back together.

121. Have you ever lost someone without having the chance to say goodbye? I made that mistake twice, in quick succession. I also lost someone who got sick and died rather quickly before I could get to her. It's not something I recommend. SAY YOUR GODDAMN PIECE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

122. How do you feel about women in politics? There aren't enough in this country. We think we're so advanced when we're actually lagging VERY far behind in this area. Fer cryin' out loud, PAKISTAN has had a female president!

123. Would you rather have an indoor Jacuzzi or an outdoor pool? Indoors is better, considering where I live, just south of the 42nd parallel.

124. What things are you interested in that you study or read about on your own? Everything. Seriously.

125. Would you consider yourself to be intelligent? Yes, I would. I do.

126. Would you consider yourself to be wise? In some areas, yes. In other areas, I am a giant fucking train-wreck in slo-mo.

127. Have you ever given or received a lap dance? Uh, no?

128. Have you ever spoken to a homeless person? Uh, yes? Like pretty much every day...certainly several times each week at work. And elsewhere.

129. Would you ever creep into the subway tunnels to go exploring? Having just read a book about this in NYC, no. The residents do not seem particularly friendly to outsiders.

130. If you could add 70 years to your life but only by making some random person die 70 years sooner would you? Nope. I don't do well with these sorts of ethical questions.

131. Can you finish any of the following lyrics?
A: Nothing to kill or die for... And no religion too.
B: Late comings with the late comin' stretcher... ...not a clue... [having now Googled, I don't really do hardcore rap, even if it's classic stuff]
C: I could make a film and make you my star... ...not a clue... [but I could quote you line by line their Much Bigger Hit..."I'm sorry I don't pray that way"]

132. Were you ever with someone while they died? I've been there within the hour, both sides (before and after) but not at the moment. Which is rather odd, come to think of it.

133. Would you rather be a world political leader or a rock star? Given those options? I'd pretty much rather be drawn and quartered.

134. Have you ever given someone a love letter that you wrote? Uh, YEAH!! Relatively recently, too!! (see also #121)

135. Have you ever sent someone a surprise though the mail? I'm a mom. Of course I have. One of these days I'll have to discuss the 21st Birthday Cake #fail (which wasn't MY #fail by the way).

136. Are you looking forward to any concerts right now? Nope.

137. Of all animated movies, which is the best one you've ever seen? I really love The Lion King.

138. What are the best bands or songs to listen to while driving? John Mellencamp. And show tunes. Not really at the same time, though, maybe. ;)

139. What do you think is the most amazing thing that anyone has ever accomplished? Staying alive wins every single time.

140. What could a member of the opposite sex do to impress you? Never. Ever. Mansplain anything to me. Evvverrrrrr.

141. About how many emails do you get a day? Personal: probably 15. Work: probably 50ish. My shopping/coupon/"send email here" account: easily 75, minimum.
How many of those emails are junk mail? Personal: less than 5%. Work: maybe 1/3. The third account: 99.9%
How many of them are forwards? Personal: very damned few. Work: Too many. The third: none.

142. What's your favorite thing to do online besides write in your [blog] and hang out at [Facebook]? Read other people's blogs. Actually, I spend a good percentage of my workday online so the site I use most is probably OCLC Connexion.

143. Do you believe Kurt Cobain killed himself or was it a conspiracy? Oh for FUCK's sake, the poor guy shot himself already, 25 years ago. ...cripes

144. Have you ever though about hitchhiking across the country? I've thought about driving across the country. I wouldn't hitchhike on a bet.

145. Who would you bring with you on this kind of a road trip? If I had my druthers, no one.

146. Of the following, which word best describes you: accurate, bold, charming, dependable Dependable...sigh.

147. If you are single, at about what age do you think you will be ready to settle down and get married? If you are married, how old were you at the time? I got married at age 22.6 and now that I have a son slightly older than that I'm horrified at that thought!

148. Do you often wonder, when you say goodbye to people, if it is the last time you will ever see them? Yep. The older I get the more likely it gets, too.

149. What movie are you most looking forward to seeing when it comes out? Honestly, I don't know of anything that I'm desperate to see.

150. What is your quest? "To dream the impossible dreeeeeammmmmm..."

151. What is louder and more annoying: 200 adults talking or one four-year-old screaming? Screaming toddlers are decidedly unfun.

152. Do you believe the stories about planes, boats and people mysteriously disappearing into the Bermuda triangle? Nope. Or rather, I do NOT believe that there's any big "thing" going on.

153. Who are you the most jealous of? I don't really do "jealous." I have deep envy for people who have boring lives, not just those who LOOK like they have boring lives. Because I got the latter covered. I'd really like the look to be truth.

154. What is the happiest way you can start your day? Eyes open. First thought in my brain: "nothing on the schedule, no work, sunny morning". Back to sleep!!

155. Do you ever have moments where you feel like everything is all right in the world? Yes. I wish that happened more often, but I'm happy for any of them. I've been through years of not seeing a lot of that.

156. Who thinks that you are offensive? According to my boss, a sizable percentage of people at work have had trouble with me for the past 3 years. Weirdly, that's about as long as he's been my boss.

157. If you had to teach a class in something, what would you be able to teach people? I can teach library stuff. I can teach Sunday School. I can teach people to read. I can teach basic internet usage. I can teach lots of things, given the time to prep. Teaching doesn't worry me.

158. Have you ever had a spiritual experience (an experience that cannot be explained by science)? Yup. More than once.

159. Do you believe that this experience was truly mystical or do you think there is some scientific explanation for it, only you don't know what it is? It's not a question I care about finding an answer to.

160. Do you get offended easily? Not usually.

161. Would you still love and stay with your significant other if he or she had to have a breast or testicle removed? Of course. That would, in many ways, be so much easier than what's going on.

162. Do you believe in fate or free will? I believe in predestination, as a good Calvinist. My understanding of the passage in Romans from which it comes is that God knows all of us and wants the best for us, but we will do what we choose... I absolutely REJECT that God has decided certain people aren't worthwhile and allows them to live with no possibility of redemption.

163. Do you believe that only boring people get bored? I think it's trite. I am a very boring person and I am rarely if ever bored.

164. Can life change or are we all stuck in vain? I'm not vain! Or stuck there! Or whatever. :-) Of course, life changes every second. It's a roller-coaster; hold on tight.

165. What changes are you afraid of? I'm not a big fan of suffering, mine or my loved ones'.

166. Are you a day person or nocturnal? I'm definitely a person who needs, who craves, sunlight. It can be 40 below and if it's sunny (and I'm inside or dressed appropriately) I'm perfectly happy.

167. What one CD could you listen to for an entire week (no mixed CD’s, it must be an album)? I used to do this when I was young, with records; listen to them over and over and over for weeks till I had the whole thing memorized. I don't really do that often anymore, but I suppose there would be worse things than listening to the songs from Les Miz--and to be clear, I mean the Broadway or London versions with Colm Wilkinson--over and over.

168. Which is worse, working in retail, food service, or an office? Yes. Or no. Your work is what you make of it. Some days are going to suck, regardless of your job. If you have more days like that than any other, you need to take a long look at your job and your response to life and make some changes.

169. What's the coolest job you ever had? I love my job now: working mostly as a cataloger in a medium-sized public library. I get to interact with fascinating people (staff and customers) and make picky decisions about 'thinky' things. I think it's cool. Cool from anyone else's perspective? Some of the temp jobs with the agency where I worked one summer in college were probably "cool" but I didn't really care for those assignments.

170. What is one central idea that your thoughts seem to come back to? That I am one very lucky chick.

171. Have you ever wanted to be an actor/tress? Oh for sure. When I was a kid, I really did. Still, today, I think about it but a) I'm pretty sure I'd die of fright on stage, and b) I have zero interest in being "known." But it is fun to pretend to be someone else.

172. If you had the power to control one person and make this person do anything you wanted for a whole day, who would you pick and what would they do? Nope.
OK maybe I'd have the current Republican candidates all lose their minds together and drive into a lake, but otherwise...seriously? Nope.

173. What star sign are you and what is your sign like? I'm a Scorpio. This apparently means that I have a nasty streak in me and I'm ruled by passions I can't control. I'm supposedly sneaky and smart and mean. Yay.

174. Did the Blair Witch Project scare you? I never watched it. Probably would have.

175. Are you in constant fear of death? Absolutely not!

176. Does fear of death keep you from building a life? Nope. That is not my phobia at all.

177. Do you like all your movies to be in wide-screen? I don't really give one shit.

178. Are you a fan of any comic books? Nope. Especially having to catalog them, I have decided that all the comic and manga publishers are bent on driving the rest of us completely nuts.

179. At what age did you attend your first funeral? My mom's mom died when I was about 8. That's the first one I remember.

180. What do you smell like (lotion, cologne, sweat)? Having not showered in a couple of days, my hair is gross. I probably have some weird funk of faint BO, leftover deodorant (coconut? I think) and 'hospital smell' going on. Aren't you glad I'm not near you??

181. What are your greatest sources for wisdom? People. The Bible.

182. When you were little, where did your parents tell you babies come from? My parents told me N O T H I N G, not a thing. Women gradually got enormous and then there was a baby and the woman wasn't so enormous. I had no clue. Eventually, we did the "you're growing up: menstruation" talk at school, which got things sorted out a little, and then I took Family Living in 7th grade and got the full story in detail. Honestly, Mom couldn't sign off on the permission slip for that class fast enough!

183. What is your favorite band? U2.

184. What's the best cheesy 80's song? Aren't they pretty much ALL cheesy? I heard part of "I Need a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler the other day and literally had to pull over I was laughing so hard.

185. What's the best kind of movie to see on a date? One you both don't hate, but also don't have a stake in. I remember the name of the movie I saw on my first date--Ffolkes--but have very few impressions of it beyond some dismal rainy scenery. I wasn't exactly focused on it.

186. Do you like to sit in the front, middle or back of the [m]ovie [t]heater? I'm rather partial to the middle, but we've discovered that the back row in our local theater is good if you sit at the very end: the aisle comes up the side of the room rather than the middle after entering and climbing up to the back row, and the two seats on the end with the steps in front of you are GOOD! Lots of legroom.

187. Have you ever been inside an abandoned building? More than I should have, growing up in a state with lots of abandoned 100-year-old mine buildings on the sides of mountains.

188. Under what circumstances would you agree to work for free? If I could do good work and not worry about money, I would totally work for free.

189. Candles or strobe lights? Given only those two options, candles.

190. Do you think the Lord of the Rings movies are true to the books or did Hollywood change the story too much? Another question I have no interest in.

191. When you see a stranger on the street does your first reaction lean towards thinking of this person as a potential friend or as a potential threat? Depends on their behavior. I mostly check to see if they seem to be aware of me and their surroundings, i.e. are they looking me like they have a question, are they moving out of my way on the sidewalk or in the aisle...that sort of thing.

192. Is it natural for human beings to fear and distrust each other, or is it cultural? I think it's nature + nurture. We are born with a certain amount of "tribalism" (everyone seems to have a different level) and then our environment teaches us whether we should be afraid of the world or open-hearted or whatever.

193. What do you really want to buy? Peace of mind, and not for myself.

194. You have to choose. Would you be happier marrying someone rich for their money or living in the streets and subway tunnels with someone you love? I would rather live alone given those two options.

195. If someone wanted to understand you what book could they read that would help? Remember that link up there in question #124? You should probably start with something on the "Favorites" list. Maybe pick a few. Perhaps #1 and #14 and #46 and #69? There are a lot of kids' books on the list.

196. Do you think it’s odd that Americans have freedom of religion and yet call themselves 'one nation under god'? I have started a silent moment during the "under God" part of the pledge when I'm at school saying it. ALL nations are under God. Derp. I just say "one nation ... with liberty and justice for all" because that's closer to the original anyway.

197. In what sense are you a minority? Increasingly, as I watch the news cycle, I feel that I'm in the minority of sane Christian voters. I know, realistically, I'm not, but holy shit the crazies are fucking LOUD.

198. Are you anti-social? There are days when I shouldn't be around people, but I'm not really anti- so much as a- at that point.

199. Do you photograph well? Depends on who you ask. I certainly don't think so.

200. Do you think that human beings would survivor through a nuclear winter? Perhaps a few. Not many. And, percentage-wise, not a lot of Americans.

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.