Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
Let's Not Be Difficult Meme

1. Do you like your movies and books to be more lighthearted or serious?
My first reaction was to say that it depends on the subject of the book. But actually, having a sense of the absurdity and irony about life around us helps no matter what the topic is. I don't tend to like overly earnest or dead-serious books, fiction or not. I also don't like total silliness, though. It's a tough balance.
2. What’s more important, first impressions or lasting impact?
More important is lasting impact. But if you fail at the first impression you don't often get to hang around to have impact later.
3. Order these areas of psychological health from what you need the least improvement into what you need the most improvement in: physical, emotional, social, intellectual, environmental, spiritual
Intellectual, spiritual, emotional, social, environmental, physical.
4. Do you react appropriately to things and control your feelings?
Oh, who the hell knows? Apparently, I do not have a good grasp of this at work, but I think I'm pretty stable and normal.
5. Do you have stable relationships?
Speaking of which....yes.
6. Do you need to be in a relationship to feel good about yourself?
I need to be in some kind of relationship, yes. Does it have to be love? Not really.
7. Which is the clearest and most concise, your thoughts, your speech or your writing? Which is the least clear and concise?
My writing tends to be most concise when I'm being attentive, because I can edit out egregiously stupid things. Least clear are probably my unfiltered thoughts. I'm definitely a girl this way: I have to verbalize to clarify.
8. Are you always trying to learn new things?
Yes. It can be quite painful, but is almost always rewarding in the end.
9. Do you feel at peace?
In a general sense, yes. There are a few specifics that are far from peaceful, but I'm working on coming to terms with those.
10. Do you have strong morals and ethics that you believe in and adhere to?
Strong ones I believe in. Adhering to them can be a little harder when push comes to shove.
11. Do you think of the needs of all humanity or just the needs of yourself and those you know?
I think about both. I tend to do things more for the people I know than for the good of the universe. Which makes me kind of a jerk, but also pretty normal. It's certainly not something I'm very proud of.
12. Do you recycle?
Yes. As much as possible. It's my saving grace, perhaps, for question 11.
13. Are you active in your community?
Not really. I feel like I do a great deal for my community at work, and I do some volunteering during the school year, so my conscience is clear. However, I've been mulling over getting involved with CASA for awhile. I'm just not sure how much time it would require, and I do hoard my quiet, home times a bit.
14. Are you sensitive to the needs of others?
Yes. To a fault. I'm finding it a little easier lately to set those aside without guilt, but it's hard. I wish I could do more to help people sometimes.
15. Do you dress up to go out?
Five minutes ago, I was standing on my front porch in my nightshirt at 11 a.m. Great timing! I try to dress appropriately for the situation. I'll be at a funeral this afternoon and did check last night to be sure I had something to wear in case I needed to shop this morning. Not only do I have something that will be ok, it's actually more than ok due to the circumstances in play today. I don't, however, make a point of dolling myself up very often. I'm way more casual and more interested in comfort than I am about makeup and what-all.
16. What could make you lose respect for someone?
Lying, hypocrisy, endless (bad) excuses for lousy behavior, and rudeness to others. One of Beast's best friends at work was a super-nice guy named Larry who was as kind and friendly of a guy as anyone we knew. When the two of them ended up spending a lot of time entertaining clients, it turned out that Larry was a complete prick at restaurants: yelling at waitresses, sending his food back for idiotic reasons, tipping poorly, etc. Beast and I both lost a lot of respect for him for that, and it was horribly embarrassing for Beast in front of the clients. He often had to stay after everyone left to increase the tip and/or apologize to the staff, and then make "I'm so sorry" calls the next day to clients.
17. If you won $1,000 every week until you die, would you still go to work?
That would total $52,000 a year, and the government would take some of that in taxes. I can't live here for that, so yes, I'll be heading off to work daily.
18. What trend has been getting on your nerves lately?
Poor cell-phone etiquette drives me nuts. These are not new devices, people. Turn them off when they will disturb others (church, meetings, stage performances, funerals, etc.), or at least set them to vibrate. And don't haul them out to check every time you get a message signal when you're talking F2F with someone. It's really bloody rude, especially if you're talking to an employee who is trying to help you. I do not have time to stand and listen to your husband's difficulties with finding the right kind of yogurt at WalMart, or your wife's complaints about traffic when she should be DRIVING not talking! And for God's sake....WHY do we all SHOUT into our phones??
19. Do you forgive yourself when you make a mistake?
Eventually. Most of the time.
20. Is ignorance really bliss?
Until you realize how stupid you've been and belatedly feel like a tool. Sometimes, in other words, yes. And sometimes ignorance is annoying and/or dangerous.
21. What can be described as ‘even better than the real thing’?
U2 has it pretty much right on.
22. What’s in your wallet right now?
The usual wallet-y stuff: money, license, credit cards, "loyalty" cards up the wazoo, insurance stuff....my CPR card, Sparky's bank account number, a three-year-old Weight Watcher's booklet. I really need to clean the damn thing out. No pictures, because I've known too many people who've lost their wallet and their only/last photo of [important person]. Credit cards, etc., are replaceable; pictures less so. Also, we had a speaker at the library last week who talked about RFID readers and wallets, so I'm considering lining my wallet with tin foil. Yes, I'm aware that this makes me sound like a lunatic, but I'm too cheap to buy a metal wallet.
23. Do you write letters that you never send?
Yes.
24. Do you ever get the feeling people are laughing at you?
Not so much anymore, but only because I really don't fookin' care anymore. When I do stupid things, I fully expect others to laugh. When people are just being mean, that says so much more about them than me that I don't let it bother me, at least not like it did when I was young and trying to impress everyone.
25. Who’s the one person you’d like to drop a house on?
Interestingly, we were talking about the Wicked Witch yesterday at work, and her ruby slippers. The house-dropping didn't come up, but I'd really like to drop a eally Big House on all the politicians who use scare tactics, half-truths and full-blown lies to forward their agenda. Note that I'm not specifying a particular party, because there are connivers everywhere. However, I'm pretty sure if you've read anything else here before you'll know that I feel one U.S. political party especially needs a big-ass 100-story condo building dropped on it.

3 sweet-talkers :

Kwizgiver said...

I love that our thinking is in sync. ;-)

CountryDew said...

Lots of similar answers. I once thought about volunteering for CASA but determined that I couldn't handle it. Too much heartbreak.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Such well though out answers. I like the condo Idea. I worked for a place, a homeless Outreach, and that was just heartbreaking. But, it helped homeless people in so many ways.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.