Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Stealing

(Link in meme-roll)
The Meme With No Name

1. Have you ever pretended to read a book to impress someone?
Welcome to my English Lit minor. ;-) I do say at work that I've read books that I haven't actually gone from page 1 to the end, because sometimes people need to 'know' that it's been read by someone else so they can a) read it themselves, or 2) talk about it with someone.
2. Have you ever pretended not to read a book in order to avoid embarrassment?
I was temporarily embarrassed to admit I read The Da Vinci Code after all the hullaballo blew up about it. But I read it before it got so crazy, and I even liked it, although I wouldn't ever say it was great literature.
3. What's your worst reading habit?
I'm not as physically careful with books as you would probably expect a librarian to be.
4. What book are you most proud of having read?
I ... proud? I don't know? I don't think pride is why I read. I guess I'm pleased that I survived Crime and Punishment and The Magus during my freshman year of college, not to mention Invisible Man though I barely remember ANY of the latter. I can't think of anything that I've read that gives me a sense of pride except those books that I've finished even though they were HARD. Maybe John Meier's A Marginal Jew (volume 1)--though there are now three more volumes I have NOT read...sigh.
5. Do you buy most of your books new, second-hand, electronically or borrow via the library?
By far, I borrow my books. I'd estimate that well over 90% of what I read is borrowed, even the ebooks. If I like it and will read it again, or it's dirt cheap, or it's something that's going to take bloody-well-forever to read, I buy it.
6. Have you ever pretended to watch a film to impress someone?
No.
7. Have you ever pretended not to have watched a film in order to avoid embarrassment?
No.
8. What movie have you watched the most?
Probably some Bill Murray or another, or RHPS, or "History of the World, Part 1."
9. What film do you tell people is your favorite ever?
"Heathers"
10. What film is actually your favorite ever?
"Heathers" though "Shoah" comes close. It's just that "Shoah" is 9 hours long and depressing as hell and lots of people have no idea what it is, so I don't mention it.
11. What time do you usually wake up and get up in the mornings?
I'm up between 6:30 and 7:30 most mornings. Whether I get out of bed then is a whole other thing. ;-) Oh, and on Wednesdays, I'm usually up by 5:30 to make it to Bible Study.
12. Do you wake naturally or does something/someone wake you up?
I get to "sleep in" one day a week usually, but otherwise I use an alarm.
13. How many snooze alarms do you need?
Lately, it's been two. This morning was rough.
14. What’s your routine on a workday/work at home morning?
Out of bed. Choose clothes. Bathroom. Shower. Dry hair (or not). Sox, shoes, earrings. Check Facebook/email and take meds. Breakfast (or leave and get food on the way).
15. What’s your routine on a non-workday morning?
Sleep in unless I have an appointment early in the day. Stay in my jammies as long as possible. Meds and Facebook till guilt drives me off the couch.

6 sweet-talkers :

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

"History of the World Part One" cracked me up. How many parts are there? :)

Stacy said...

I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code...as an action-packed work of fiction. I don't get all the people that jumped on it as religious truth. It was just a fun story.

Cat. said...

Bud: just the one. ;-)

Stacy: exactly. Not great literature, not exactly historically accurate in every way, just a fun read.

Helena said...

Heathers was one of the films from my youth I cold watch on a daily basis and never tire from it! Glad you mentioned it. A re-watch now I'm an old fart might just be on the cards.

onebadscrivener said...

Except for the "Battle Royal" chapter, I don't remember anything about Invisible Man either, 'though I have some vague recollection of ceiling covered with light bulbs. Also: you are only the second person I know (well, I don' t know you, but I know you, you know?) who has seen Shoah in its entirety. I don't know if I have it in me to get through that.

Cat. said...

I don't even remember those scenes!!

I actually own Shoah. Saw it once in the theater in 1985, and have watched all of it at home at least once.

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.