Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday 9

(Link in meme-roll)
Greased Lightnin'

1) Greased Lightnin' was the name of a car. Have you ever given your car a name?
My parents did this. Dad pretty much called every car "Betsy." Mom's Toyota was "Tillie." We have not kept up the tradition.
2) Could your vehicle use a trip to the car wash this weekend?
Well, it's not filthy, but I suppose a rinse couldn't hurt. Then again, it might rain tomorrow, so why bother?
3) This song is from the soundtrack of the movie Grease, the biggest money-making movie musical of all time. Have you ever seen it?
Yes. I saw it in the theater when it was first released and I've seen it a few times since on TV and DVD. I also know most of the words of most of the songs by heart. ;-)
4) John Travolta's astrological sign is Aquarius. What's yours?
I'm a Scorpio.
5) In addition to being John Travolta's birthplace, Englewood, New Jersey, played a significant role in telecommunications history. In 1951, Englewood's mayor made the first-ever direct dial long-distance call in the United States. Now it's your turn. Tell us something about your birthplace.
Many of the streets in Denver were originally laid out and named in alphabetical order. So if someone lives on Acoma, you know they are one block west of Broadway, while Delaware is 4 blocks west of Broadway. You just need to know the radials (like Broadway) to find things. Of course, now they've re-engineered a lot of the old areas, and the newer parts of the area are as ridiculously named as anywhere else.
6) Travolta is an excellent dancer. How are you on the dance floor?
Not good.
7) Grease is an upbeat musical about the students of Rydell High. Another Travolta movie is Carrie, which features the worst prom night imaginable. Grease or Carrie -- which is closer to your high school experience?
Both, though not to the extreme in either case. Of course, I would like to remember only the Grease memories, but there were plenty of Carrie moments too.
8) What was your best subject in high school? What was your worst?
I did well across the board, but I didn't have much interest in the hard sciences. I liked physiology, but really didn't like plain biology. Or gym, primarily because of the post-gym sweat factor.
9) Sam made good use of the bus ride to school, using that time to complete her homework. What do you remember about getting to or from school?
I walked as did most people; there were only 1 or 2 buses. Occasionally, once I was older, I got rides from friends, but mostly I walked until I graduated: seven blocks west to high school, 6 blocks northwest to junior high.
WHAT THE HELL?! Where are Olivia Newton-John and the rest of the cast?! :-)

6 sweet-talkers :

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

EVERY time I wash my car, we get rain. So my car ALWAYS needs to be washed. I hate that. Of all the sciences (they were all hard for me) biology was the easiest due to it's concrete factor. The abstract sciences were much more difficult.

katie eggeman said...

That was an interesting factoid about Denver. I agree with your answer about Grease and Carrie.
Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

Bex said...

Rain is nature's car-washer, IMO. Especially when your car is 20 years old and the paint is peeling, like mine. Hahaha.

The Gal Herself said...

I didn't know that about Denver!

I am Harriet said...

Dad's are funny like that aren't they?

Smellyann said...

Pretty cool info about Denver. I've never been there, so I didn't know. I guess most people had similar HS experiences!

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.