Sunday, November 20, 2011

12 Fave Bands

(found here)

First, name your top 12 bands.
1. U2
2. TobyMac
3. Billy Joel
4. Melissa Etheridge
5. Beatles
6. Pet Shop Boys
7. Nicole C. Mullen
8. Queen
9. Miriam Makeba
10. Joan Osborne
11. Rich Mullins
12. Styx

Ok, now answer some questions about band number one:
How did you hear about this band? They were simply EVERYwhere when I was in college, and the concert footage at Red Rocks meant I HAD to like them, and then they released Achtung Baby just before Sparky was born, which absolutely is one of the greatest albums ever.
How long have you been listening to them? Since, oh, '83 I guess.
Name one band member. Bono, the Edge, Larry, Adam. Duh.
Does this band have a hot lead singer? Depends on your definition of hot, I guess. I find him quite captivating.
How long have they been around? Uhm, 1976, according to Wikipedia.
Is this your favorite band? Absolutely favorite band. Favorite music...not always.

On to band numero DEUX!
Write some random lyrics by this band. "They call us Diverse City, we're colorful good It's like a freak show in your neighborhood..."
Are they all girls? Or all guys? Or a mix? The backup singers are (ahem) diverse: men, women, multiple ethnicities...
Can you name each member of this band? Nope. They tend to change up fairly regularly.
What was the first song you heard from them? I don't know. Maybe "The Slam."
How many guitar players does this band have? It's not really a guitar-based thing, but I know Toby himself plays guitar.
What kind of music do they play? Christian hip-hop/pop.

Band #3. HUZZAH!!
Do any of your friends like this band? I think most of my friends at least tolerate some of his music. I'm not sure any of them are crazy about him.
Is this band mainstream or indie? Uh, yeah, I'd go with "VERY MAINSTREAM."
What are their lyrics usually about? Life. Random.
How many cds of theirs do you have? I have 3, I think. Maybe 4.
Have you ever seen them live? I've seen him with Elton John a couple of years ago.
Are they still together? I think he tours occasionally still.

Onward to band #4.
Do you have any merchendise from this band? Just her CDs.
Write some random lyrics by them. "I see you shake you head / And you roll your eyes / Your firm remark / To remove my thigh / You must be crazy for me" ("Crazy For Me")
How many full-length albums have they put out? I count 13 listed on Wikipedia. I have 7 of them.
Why do you like this band? She rocks. She's funny. She's got an excellent voice. And I like her.
Are they an older or more modern band? She's 50 this year, but still recording and touring. Whatever that means.
Have they ever written a song you hate? I don't think there's a musician around that hasn't recorded something I am not crazy about. I don't think I hate anything, though.

Numbah FIVE
How many members do they have? Four, at least for the majority of their existence.
What's your favorite album of theirs? Heh, and here we get into the whole mess of what constitutes an album. I like Sgt. Pepper the best, but some of their very early stuff is just great, regardless of what "album" it was released on.
What was the first song you heard from them? I grew up with them; there's no way I could figure out what I heard first. The first song I remember really liking was "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."
Are (were) they on an indie record label or a major? Major.
Do they have a logo? Not necessary, I think.
Name two members. JohnPaulGeorgeRingo.

Band number SIX.
Write some random lyrics by them. "She's wearin' plaid and jeans / Like a workman on the road / Hitchin' out west / With a personal stereo / Playin' 'Lay, lady, lay'" ("Girls Don't Cry")
How many albums of theirs do you own? Thanks to Amy, about 5.
Is this band well-known? Probably much better known 25 years ago, for two songs, than nowadays.
How long have you been listening to them? Well, yeah, 25 years, off and on.
Do you like their band name? I don't get their name, but it's ok. At least it's not completely bizarre; Toad the Wet Sprocket anyone?
Do you know anyone else who likes them? Clearly Amy does. Otherwise, I think people like their old hits ok.

Number 7. YAY!
Is the drummer hot? She's a singer, so I suspect her drummer changes periodically.
Have they kept the same lineup through their whole career? Probably not. See previous answer.
Is there an aesthetic aspect to this band? What? I have no idea what this means, but this woman's arms are to die for!
Do they have videos on MTV? VERY doubtful.
Name a band member. Nicole.
What kind of music do they play? Contemporary Christian/Gospel.

Number 8.
Why do you like this band? Freddie Mercury's voice and rampant showmanship. Also, they're just weird.
Are they better than, worse than, or equal to band #2? Depends on how you quantify things. They have recorded way more, have made way more money, but I like them both for different reasons.
When did they first form? Wikipedia says 1971.
How old were you when you first got into them? Probably 6th or 7th grade. I remember stomping out "We Are the Champions" in junior high for sure.
How many band members are there? Basically 4, though the lead singer is pretty variable.
Do you own any of their merchendise [sic]? Just their CDs.

NINE
Are they closer to hard rock, or pop rock? She's none of the above.
Write some random lyrics. "Igqira lendlela nguqo ngqothwane" ("The Click Song"--that line translates as "Diviner of the roadways, the knock knock beetle")
How old is the lead singer? She died two years ago at age 76.
Are they still together? Uhm, clearly not.
Do they swear a lot? Not in her lyrics.
Do they write serious lyrics? Yes.

Band NUMERO DIX
What record label are they on? She's been on several labels, my favorite name is "Womanly Hips," which is her own label.
When did they first form? Late 80s, early 90s.
Was their latest album any good? I haven't heard it yet, which is not good.
How many members are there? Just Joan. Can you tell I prefer individuals to bands?
What's something distinctive about them? Her voice is knockout, and her lyrics are fascinating and meaty.
Which of their cds has the best artwork? Little Wild One is the only one that's just artwork.

Number 11. You're getting closer to the end.
Name some lyrics. (this is the last time, I swear.) "But for now we live on these streets / Forbidding and tough / Where push always comes to shove / And it's said love's never enough" ("Man of No Reputation")
What was their best album? I really like The Jesus Record the best.
Is the lead singer a guy or a chick? Again, single guy.
Do they have any videos on MTV? Not likely.
What kind of music do they play? Contemporary Christian
How long have you liked this band? Probably about 15 years.

Number 12! ALMOST FINISHED....
Why do you like this band? I have to: I'm married to a guy who freakin' WORSHIPS them (lol), but I liked them before I knew him.
Can you name each band member? I can name three--Dennis, JY, Tommy--and the other two are (well, were since one is dead now) brothers.
Do they still have their original lineup? No, since one is dead. And the others argue too much to tour together.
Is it likely you'll find their cds and merchendise at the mall? Hmm, I might. Not that I'd look, however.
How long have they been around? Wikipedia says they formed in 1961.
Are they lyrically talented? Definitely.

FINALLY, name you favorite songs by each band.
Band 1: "The Sweetest Thing"
Band 2: "Jesus Freak"
Band 3: "Leningrad"
Band 4: "Scarecrow"
Band 5: There's no way I can pick one. Sorry.
Band 6: "West End Girls"
Band 7: "Freedom"
Band 8: "Barcelona"
Band 9: "Pata Pata Song"
Band 10: "Spider Web"
Band 11: "Let Mercy Lead"
Band 12: "The Best of Times"

5 sweet-talkers :

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Yes they had a logo. (number 5) It was on their drum set...

I Want to Hold Your Hand was the first one I heard too. It was their first American single. And you made a great point. It wasn't until Pepper that their albums were released the same way. They had to get get bigger than the record company. By 1967, they were...

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Oh and about #12. We saw Dennis DeYoung (singer. originator the one who got tossed) at a state fair. He was FANTASTIC! Recently after, I saw the Styx band. Not so good...

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Oh, number 1? Good choice... (Not the right one but ... ;) )

Cat. said...

BUD! Hope you're getting better and resting your back.

onebadscrivener said...

I like this one. I'm going to steal it.

Styx was my favorite band beginning in sixth grade (the year Paradise Theater came out) and all through high school. They're probably not in my top ten anymore, but they still have a very special place in my heart. Love them so much!

And Rich Mullins. I generally dislike pop music, but he knew how to do it: with his brain engaged, and expecting his audience to have ITS brain engaged. I miss him. :(

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.