Monday, September 7, 2009

Patrick's Place

(Link in blogroll)
Monday's Morals

You’re at a buffet-style restaurant eating dinner when you notice a man complaining loudly to a waitress about something that to you seems very trivial. When he gets up to walk towards the buffet, you notice that his fly is open. You’re already headed that way: would you tell him? Why or why not?
I wouldn't say anything to him regardless of his harangue at the waitress. I definitely come from WASP-land where it is acceptable, even required, to overlook other people's weirdness and behavior. I also recall mentioning it to someone once who leered at me as he zipped and actually said "And why were you looking there in the first place?" OMG-STFU!

Yes, I would feel a degree of epicaricacy about having these two situations together, but for me there's not really a connection between the two. The only people to whom I point out an unzipped fly (or gappy blouse) are friends.

Now, if you'd asked whether I'd point out that he'd dropped a $50 bill or his cell phone after berating the waitress... :-) [I might not--but I might chase him down and say, "Here. This is an example of how to be KIND to other people."]

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.