Monday, August 31, 2009

Patrick's Place

(Link in blogroll)
Monday's Morals

You see a co-worker out partying one evening and it is clear that this person is intoxicated well beyond any reasonable limit. You know that there is a designated driver who actually gets the person home. The next day, you have an opportunity to be alone with the person who was drunk. Would you say something about their drunkenness, even if you suspected that he or she would laugh off your concerns? Why or why not?
College taught me very well how to introduce this topic into conversation, so of course I would, but not while lots of other people are around. If there were others around, I'd confine it to, "Hey, I saw you last night, I think." Alone, I'd probably ask how much of last night s/he remembered and whether s/he slept well. I might also mention that no amount of cologne is going to cover up the smell of Hangover Sweat.

Here's what I don't bring up, unless asked by the other person: the fact that s/he was draped all over someone who is NOT his/her significant other, the suggestion that I saw white powder (or a bong, or a joint), or detailed descriptions of anatomy on display at any given time.

I actually work with someone who tipples a bit at parties. We kid her ALL THE TIME about the amount of wine available when she hosts a party, but she's rarely out of control, just way tipsy. Still, it's a little disturbing to me to see her consistently getting goofy.

[Disclaimer: there are alcoholics in my family, so perhaps I'm rather more willing to bring up the subject than I might otherwise be. It certainly can be an unpleasant conversation at times, though.]

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.