Sunday, May 10, 2009

Patrick's Place

(Link in blogroll)
Saturday Six

1. Do you tend to accomplish more in the morning, the afternoon, or the evening?

Morning. If I put it off till "later" whatever it is doesn't get done. I'm a major procrastinator.
2. When there are bad thunderstorms outside, how much does this affect your ability to get things done?

As long as it's only thunder/lightning/rain, there is no effect on my work. Add "possible tornadic activity" and my focus is gone.
3. If you could set your own work schedule, would you go in earlier in the morning or later in the day?

I am extremely fortunate to do this--to an extent. My usual schedule is 7 or 7:30 till 3:30 or 4. If I didn't feel as if I needed to be home to see the kid off to school, I'd probably go in even earlier: 6 or so.
4. If you had the chance to work four ten-hour days and have a three-day weekend, would you prefer that over a traditional five-day workweek?

First of all, this is not very practical in libraries. Sure, people do it, but since most of the work is in the public sphere, it would be really difficult for many reasons. Ever done F2F customer service for 10 hours straight? aaaarrrghhhhhh

Secondly, on a personal level, I couldn't do it. As the hours go by, any latent (hah!) ADD tendencies I might have become more and more pronounced. By 3, I'm usually looking at the clock every couple of minutes. By 4--on those occasional days when I work past 4--I'm reduced to mindless tasks like checking the catalog for typos (I have a multi-page list I work from) and deleting items one-by-one from OCLC.

Thirdly, in libraries someone has to work weekends. I currently work either Friday or Saturday. A three-day-weekend would only mean having Sun-Tues or Mon-Weds off, which means a lot of other stuff would become really complicated. Hard to explain, but it's a corporate culture issue.
5. Take the quiz: Are You Dusk or Dawn?

When I did this last month, I was dawn, to no one's surprise.
6. Where is the last place you remember taking time to admire a sunset or dusk?

The sunset last night was amazing. We were driving home and Beast pointed it out a couple of times. The second time he said, "OK, God: I hear ya loud and clear!" It was that kind of a sunset. I do like dusk in spring and summer--unless I'm driving--because that's when all the fireflies come out. And the bats. Yes, I like bats. And in the winter, dusk reminds me of college and Christmas.
Don't. Ask. ;-)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Sunday 7

Name the seven celebrity commentators you think are the most unusual or annoying. [Background: Each week on TruTV, you can watch B-list celebrities — and in some cases, calling them B-listers is a bit generous — provide their own commentary on The Smoking Gun’s 'World Dumbest Criminals.'
Here’s a list of some of the celebrities who appear, and quite a collection of characters it is. Your assignment this week is to name the seven celebrities you think are the most "out there."]

I never watch this show, so I'm going on other times I've seen people and/or my 'gut' here:

  1. Danny Bonaduce (Isn't he well past his 24th hour of 15 minutes' fame?)
  2. Gary Busey (...has lost whatever grip he had on reality...)
  3. Bruce Vilanch (Annoying and horrible)
  4. Omarosa Manigault-Stallworth (I never watched the show she was on, and like Danny, her sell-by date is past. Buh-bye)
  5. Amy Fisher (See #1 and #4--she's a mindless dingbat, and those are the best words I can use to describe her.)
  6. Harlen Coben (He's an author--what's he doing on this list, and show?)
  7. Hélio Castroneves (...a race-car driver? Uh...? See #6.)

My list of commentators who should be removed from their jobs includes Joe Thiesman (and so many other sports broadcasters...!), Rush Limbaugh, Barbara Walters, Nancy Grace, Dr. Laura, Dr. Phil, and Ann Coulter (if she has a 'show'). Those are the ones that popped into my head immediately. There are, I'm sure, MANY others!

0 sweet-talkers :

Post a Comment

Sweet comments from sweet people

 
Copyright ©2004- , Cat. All rights reserved. All opinions expressed on this weblog are those of the author. Nothing included in this blog is intended as a representation of the views of my employer or past employers, or anyone else unless so stated.